Best ArcGIS license for municipality/utilities

Jump to solution
04-07-2017 09:10 AM
ImanolPonzi
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I am working with a small municipality and currently, we are exploring wich is the best ArcGIS license for our needs (particularly utility services) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this. Here are some questions  that I have about this transition process:

• What is the difference between ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS SDE and ArcGIS for Server? 
  • If these provide the same functionalities wich is better for publishing maps for end users?
  • We will be using PostgreSQL DBMS. Wich is the best method for editing utility feature datasets?:  Geometric network tools?, Geometric networks using PostgreSQL ? or LGIM workflow? or this

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi ImanoI,

A1. "ArcGIS Enterprise" is the new product name at the 10.5 release for a product that was previously called "ArcGIS for Server". It is a software product that includes several components:

- ArcGIS Web Adaptor

- Portal for ArcGIS

- ArcGIS Server

- ArcGIS Data Store

It also includes the ability to create enterprise geodatabases - which uses a technology called "ArcSDE". This ArcSDE technology used to be available as a stand-alone software product, but was integrated into "ArcGIS for Server" back in the 9.2 release.

Some resources:

A2. There is no functional difference between the terms as I have explained in A1.

A3. PostgreSQL DBMS technology is used to host enterprise geodatabases and is also used for the ArcGIS Data Store. The former instance is where you would store and deploy utility networks which are used to model geometric networks for water network modeling.

FYI, please note that if you intend on working with geometric networks we recommend you use ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2.
Please see this note, Esri Road Map for Utilities and Telecommunications.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi ImanoI,

A1. "ArcGIS Enterprise" is the new product name at the 10.5 release for a product that was previously called "ArcGIS for Server". It is a software product that includes several components:

- ArcGIS Web Adaptor

- Portal for ArcGIS

- ArcGIS Server

- ArcGIS Data Store

It also includes the ability to create enterprise geodatabases - which uses a technology called "ArcSDE". This ArcSDE technology used to be available as a stand-alone software product, but was integrated into "ArcGIS for Server" back in the 9.2 release.

Some resources:

A2. There is no functional difference between the terms as I have explained in A1.

A3. PostgreSQL DBMS technology is used to host enterprise geodatabases and is also used for the ArcGIS Data Store. The former instance is where you would store and deploy utility networks which are used to model geometric networks for water network modeling.

FYI, please note that if you intend on working with geometric networks we recommend you use ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2.
Please see this note, Esri Road Map for Utilities and Telecommunications.

Hope this helps,

ImanolPonzi
New Contributor II

Hi Derek!

Thank you so much for your prompt response. This information will be very useful! 

0 Kudos
ImanolPonzi
New Contributor II

Hi Derek, 

Sorry for bothering again, but I have another question. If we take the  ArcGIS Enterprise License, does this ArcGIS Platform/ Esri Road For Utilities it's still the best solution for water, sewer, and storm editing using PostgreSQL? 

0 Kudos
ImanolPonzi
New Contributor II

Hi Derek, 

Sorry for bothering again, but I have another question. If we take the  ArcGIS Enterprise License, does this ArcGIS Platform/ Esri Road For Utilities it's still the best solution for water, sewer, and storm editing using PostgreSQL? 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi ImanoI,

Apologies for the late reply. I was out on business travel last week.

> If we take the  ArcGIS Enterprise License, does this ArcGIS Platform/ Esri Road For Utilities it's still the best solution for water, sewer, and storm editing using PostgreSQL? 

You will also need to have a copy of ArcGIS Desktop (e.g., ArcMap) to work with utility network data. As far as I know, currently you should use ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 - as it is the optimum release to work with utility networks.

If you want to work with utility networks and the Web, then yes, you would need to ArcGIS Enterprise to enable the utility network data as web services.

Also please note, there is a new utility network model coming out soon that works with ArcGIS Pro. Please learn more here, Esri Utility Network Pro 

FYI, for future questions, I suggest you post in this forum, Utilities and Communications 

Hope this helps,

ImanolPonzi
New Contributor II

Again, thanks for your help!

0 Kudos