Basic License (10.3.1) Feature Class Edits

12-30-2015 08:56 AM
SanhitaChatterjee1
New Contributor

I have Advanced ArcGIS for Desktop License (10.3.1) but certain GIS Techs do not- they are using Basic License. If I create a version within SDE geodatabase and create feature class(es) for the Technicians, will they be able to edit those feature classes (add, update, delete records). I understand, for any schema change the Techs will have to make a request and I will make changes to the database schema!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

About edit sessions—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If you are using an ArcGIS for Desktop Basic license of ArcGIS, you can edit any data that was created using ArcGIS for Desktop Basic in a file or personal geodatabase. However, you cannot edit data from connections to ArcSDE geodatabases, feature classes that participate in geometric networks or geodatabase topologies, feature-linked annotation, relationship classes, dimension feature classes, or parcel fabric layers. If you need to create or edit these types of data, you should upgrade your ArcGIS license to ArcGIS for Desktop Standard or ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced.

About editing ArcSDE geodatabases—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

So, sounds like the answer is you will need at least the Standard (ArcEditor) level to edit SDE layers direct.

But maybe you can set up a check-out/check-in system that uses a FGDB for the Basic licenses to edit and have the Advanced/ArcInfo license do the check in/out?

SanhitaChatterjee1
New Contributor

I thought Basic License capabilities changed with 10.3.1

Create Feature Class—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have to read the fine print and Rebecca's link Create Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

simple featureclasses

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sanhita, and the link you included looks like it was to the ArcPro help ??  Pro and Desktop (ArcMap and ArcCatalog) may have or eventually have different capabilities, but here...

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

And if wanting pro, this may be a good place to start....

Introduction to desktop editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
SanhitaChatterjee1
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I have 2 options then- either upgrade techs to Standard or using check-in/check-out replication. I will have to synchronize routinely for any changes Techs are making to the checked out FGDB.

0 Kudos