base table definition string is invalid

Jump to solution
09-05-2012 08:08 AM
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to start the first new service on a 10.1 server. It has one layer. I get this error message:

Error: service started with errors.
Machine: TEST [service instance is started with errors. The base table definition string "Coast_line" is invalid]*

I have r/w permissions on the data folder for the arcgis arcgis user.

Thanks,
46 Replies
ChrisNorth
Esri Contributor
I had the same problem - but the solution was permission on the source data folder, not the output directory.  I had to give the ArcGIS user account read/write permission on the folder containing the file geodatabase.  I also registered the folder as a datasource.

Doing that got rid of the error.

Chris
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
What I don't understand is that this table was in the same file geodatabase as the rest of the layers in the map.  Also, I didn't get any errors when I analyzed it, I only got the error when I actually went to publish it.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor
I have the same issue. The layer in question is in a SQL spatial database that is registered and validates fine. Both my ArcGIS Server Account and my user account have full permissions on the drive all this stuff is on and on SQL. No idea where to go from there.

It's probably just 10.1 SP1...
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Ryan,
This actually happened to me before installing the SP 1 as well and didn't appear to go away when I did install it.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RyanColeman
Occasional Contributor
So a few things I've figured out
1) You have to now give the arcgis server account editing privileges and versioning
2) You have to have no other layers in the service definition file except those you want to use in a feature service, so basically I had to create a new service with just the one layer I wanted to be a feature service. This wasn't the case in 10, as long as I didn't try to use the other layers as features there was no problem.
0 Kudos
RedLong
New Contributor II
Same error message here.
Above workarounds do not work for me. 😞

Any other ideas around?
What is a base table definition string anyway? :confused:

Regards,
RL
0 Kudos
deleted-user-ugCMpXci8bn5
New Contributor III

I received this error using ArcGIS for Server 10.2 when I tried to publish from an mxd in my C:/Users/user/Desktop folder.  Once I moved the mxd and data to a folder higher in the directory structure (to C:/newFolder), I no longer had the error.  I assume this was a permissions issue;  this does seem to be (another) one of those ESRI errors which the error description itself is not really related to the actual problem.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
@ESRI  - there's a lot of us getting this error message including myself.  Can you shed some light on the possible causes of this issue?

Brad
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
@ESRI  - there's a lot of us getting this error message including myself.  Can you shed some light on the possible causes of this issue?

Brad

Very frustrating:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20923[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20924[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue? how to be resolved

Thank you

best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III
I had the same issue and resolved it by giving user arcgis SELECT rights to the database in SQL
0 Kudos