ArcGIS Server - Shared Instance Setting Configuration Issue - Service becomes Inaccessible

Jump to solution
03-26-2023 05:53 PM
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm experiencing an issue where services configured on shared instances have now become inaccessible. It seems as though the ArcGIS Web Adaptor cannot access the required property to recognize that the service is configured as a Shared Instance, leading it to believe that the server machines are unavailable. Although reconfiguring the service with the dedicated instance setting makes the REST URL accessible again, it is at a cost of using more server resources temporarily. I would like to find out if there is a permanent solution to fix the shared instance since they're no longer working anymore. It's more likely that I will submit a support ticket, but I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this before. I should mention here that we're running ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 and our config and directory stores reside in a dedicated file server that resides separately from the ArcGIS Server machines. It's a multi-machine ArcGIS Server site. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello, the log does not indicate any issues, but I was able to figure it out at the end. This took me a while to figure out since there wasn't a lot of documentation that definitively explains this, but the shared instances are powered by the DynamicMappingHost Service in the System tool, which had malfunctioned and needed to be repaired/replaced.

View solution in original post

SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

sorry late reply here, but not sure if my solution is applicable but I essentially I had to replace the entire JSON file tied to the DynamicMappingHost as it was accidentally altered 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Have you check the logs and service statistics in the Server Manager? Do you see anything that might describe the issue and/or a cause? If you have the resources available on the servers, it might help to increase the number of instances in the shared instance pool for the site.

0 Kudos
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello, the log does not indicate any issues, but I was able to figure it out at the end. This took me a while to figure out since there wasn't a lot of documentation that definitively explains this, but the shared instances are powered by the DynamicMappingHost Service in the System tool, which had malfunctioned and needed to be repaired/replaced.

CamposEPC
New Contributor

How did you repair the DynamicMappingHost Service exactly? I've stopped and started in the admin tools, but the problem just persists.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

sorry late reply here, but not sure if my solution is applicable but I essentially I had to replace the entire JSON file tied to the DynamicMappingHost as it was accidentally altered 

0 Kudos