ArcGIS Server Serivce does not start up. ArcGIS 10.1

09-22-2013 08:57 AM
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
I am installing an ArcGIS Server 10.1 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Machine. The install goes fine but once the install is complete, the ArcGIS Server Service will not start. When i try to start it from the Services section it starts and then immediately stops.

I have made sure that the Arcgis user has all the permissions on the folders, and i even made it an Local Administrator on the server.

When i check in Event Viewer i get the following Message.

The description for Event ID 4096 from source ArcGIS Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Failed to invoke the service start function.

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

I have tried reinstalling it a couple of times but still no luck and i get the same error each time. Any ideas?
16 Replies
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

I had a similar issue, and had to uninstall Server and re-install.  I guess something corrupted during the install.

0 Kudos
MarkHolzworth
New Contributor II

I had the same issue as well...  Uninstalling and re-installing worked only if I deleted the C:\arcgiserver\ and C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\ folders before reinstall.   (I did not need to uninstall my other ArcGIS Desktop and Engine installations).

0 Kudos
AvinashDalvi_
New Contributor II

I tried this still not work. 

0 Kudos
MikeAnderson
New Contributor II

I had the same issue when I changed the account that ArcGIS ran under (./arcgis is default). I resolved it by changing the file permissions on the arcgisserver folder and the Program Files\ArcGIS to allow access for the  user that ArcGIS server service is running under.

User35488
New Contributor III

I ran into same issue, with a different scenario.

reason: arcgisserver folder residing on network drive was inaccessible.

0 Kudos
MarinProdan
New Contributor II

Hi, i had the same problem and this was solved by change in ArcGIS Server Properties to Log on as: Local System account

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I'd contact support services and look for a better option. Running an application server as the local system account is highly unadvised from a security perspective. 

0 Kudos