ArcGIS Server Serivce does not start up. ArcGIS 10.1

09-22-2013 08:57 AM
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
I am installing an ArcGIS Server 10.1 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Machine. The install goes fine but once the install is complete, the ArcGIS Server Service will not start. When i try to start it from the Services section it starts and then immediately stops.

I have made sure that the Arcgis user has all the permissions on the folders, and i even made it an Local Administrator on the server.

When i check in Event Viewer i get the following Message.

The description for Event ID 4096 from source ArcGIS Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Failed to invoke the service start function.

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

I have tried reinstalling it a couple of times but still no luck and i get the same error each time. Any ideas?
16 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
What is the operating system language?

http://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/189810.1_SP1_Announcement.pdf

NIM082666 - Cannot start image services on an ArcGIS Server that runs in French or Russian locales

Here is a similar thread (unfortunately with no resolution) that has some suggestions:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/81228-java-processes-not-running-in-10.1-and-10.1-SP1
0 Kudos
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
What is the operating system language?

The OS Language is English.
Also thanks for the other link i tried some of the things mentioned there but still no luck.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Other suggestions:

Disable your virus scanning software, if any, and see if it works
Do a repair installation
0 Kudos
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
There is no Antivirus installed and i tried disabling the Firewall but that did not fix it.

I also tried Repairing the Install and even reinstalled it but still no luck!
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Have you tried running Configure ArcGIS Server Account?  It is like the old Post Install and fixes permissions problems, which I believe you have.
0 Kudos
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
Yeah i have tried that a few times. In addition to a full reinstall.
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Is the ArcGIS Server service started?  What happens when you restart it?  Try uninstalling, then renaming or deleting the arcgisserver folder (if still present) then reinstall.
0 Kudos
VijaySambandhan
New Contributor II
OK finally got some time to return to this and wanted to update all on this issue. i tried the following things and it seem to fixed the issue. I did not have time to zero in on what fixed the issue.

1. Remove the ArcGIS folders(i had tried to remove them and install before so don't think this did it)
2. Turn of User Access Control on the server during the install
3. Remove all ArcGIS software from the machine and tried to install server on an empty machine.

Once i tried to install after this everything seemed to install fine and the service is running fine.

hope this helps someone facing the similar issue.
Vijay
0 Kudos
Drew
by
OK finally got some time to return to this and wanted to update all on this issue. i tried the following things and it seem to fixed the issue. I did not have time to zero in on what fixed the issue.

1. Remove the ArcGIS folders(i had tried to remove them and install before so don't think this did it)
2. Turn of User Access Control on the server during the install
3. Remove all ArcGIS software from the machine and tried to install server on an empty machine.

Once i tried to install after this everything seemed to install fine and the service is running fine.

hope this helps someone facing the similar issue.
Vijay

Thanks for the post Vijay 😉
I am running into this same issue and will try your suggestions.

Hope all is well with you!

Andrew
0 Kudos