ArcGIS Server Linux 10.8.1 upgrade /tmp space needed is > 100GB

805
7
Jump to solution
01-28-2021 01:35 PM
CharlesColeman
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I'm new the community and to ArcGIS Servers. I've been tasked with upgrading our 10.6.1 server to a 10.8.1 server and am running into issues with /tmp space. I've bumped it up to a huge 100GB and the INSTALL script is still running out of space. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesColeman
New Contributor II

So, I found the issue causing my problems. We had a shared network drive/directory mounted on /home/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgiscache. I unmounted it, ran the INSTALL script again successfully, and then remounted the network share, and restarted the server. Everything looks good now. Thanks to everyone for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Regular Contributor

How much free space did you have pre-install? Could be it's running out of space creating the pre-upgrade backup files.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
CharlesColeman
New Contributor II

I have 100GB available in /tmp pre-install. Is it possible for the pre-upgrade backup files to exceed 100GB?   

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Regular Contributor

Depends on how much is being backed up. I guess the question I should have asked was how much space does the portal take up right now? If your things are taking up a lot of space, the backup could be similarly large.

Per the upgrade docs:

To ensure you have enough disk space to support the automatic backup created during the upgrade, determine the amount of space allocated to the portal's content, index, db, and temp directories. Validate that the amount of free space available on disk is at least 2.5 times this amount. If not, allocate at least 2.5 times more space on disk. The portal upgrade needs this free space to successfully back up and upgrade your portal's content, site information, and security settings. The default location for these directories is <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>/arcgisportal.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @CharlesColeman,

So when you upgrade ArcGIS server makes a backup of you configuration and content store and this includes you cache, the cache can be quite large on windows they are located dir...\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache

Just cut them out upgrade and place them back or rebuild the cache.

Kind Regards
Henry

CharlesColeman
New Contributor II

Hi Henry,

You hit the nail on the head. My server/usr/directories/arcgiscashe/ is a whopping 57 terabytes. 

How do I "cut them out" of the upgrade? Also, how do I replace or rebuild the cache after the upgrade? Any links you could send me on this would be most appreciated.   

Thanks for all your help on this.

0 Kudos
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @CharlesColeman

 So what I meant buy cutting them out is just to just do a "cut and past" . I would usually just make a backup folder in a location that is not in the ArcGIS server folder structure and move the cache there, by moving it you are taking it out of the backup process.

mv ~/Downloads/your-file.txt ~/Documents/

 

If you decide to just delete the cache, you would need to log which services are using cache and what there levels are. 

https://your_dns/webadaptor/manager/service.html?name=SampleWorldCities.MapServer

HenryLindemann_0-1612507511380.png

 

You can safely delete them out of the manager upgrade and then recreate them just note that re-creating them will take a few weeks I think for 57 terabytes.

I would just take screen shots of the services and then after the upgrade re-create the settings.

Here is a link 

Create a map cache—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Kind regards

Henry

 

0 Kudos
CharlesColeman
New Contributor II

So, I found the issue causing my problems. We had a shared network drive/directory mounted on /home/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgiscache. I unmounted it, ran the INSTALL script again successfully, and then remounted the network share, and restarted the server. Everything looks good now. Thanks to everyone for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos