ArcGIS Server geodatabase attachments corrupted/not displaying correctly.

08-27-2015 09:56 AM
JosephWallis
New Contributor II

Cross post from web developers, since this is more server based I think:

I have several services with a geodatabase feature class having attachments.  These attachments are almost always PDFs.  After much experimenting I have noticed that any PDF over 5MB in size will load as gibberish in the browser window.

To narrow this down to ArcGIS server, I put the same file out in a directory on the web server and browsed to it and it opened fine in the browser using the Acrobat plugin.  Previous web searches had led me to believe there might be a problem with the plugin, but since it displays fine outside of a ArcGIS map service I believe the plugin and the web server (Tomcat) are configured correctly.

Is there some minimum size limit or buffer size in the REST configuration I need to enlarge?  Because it seems to always be around 5MB I get the impression there is some coded limitation somewhere that needs to be increased.

14 Replies
SteveSchunzel
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm having the same exact issue.  Larger attachment (<7mb) opens fine with the Desktop, but not via the REST service.

Thanks

-Steve

0 Kudos
SteveSchunzel
New Contributor III

Apparently this is a known bug in 10.3.1 (BUG-000090171​).

-Steve

0 Kudos
JosephWallis
New Contributor II

this is really infuriating.  I can count on one hand how many times I've tried to implement an ArcGIS feature for the first time only to learn I can't really cause it has bugs.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having this same issue on Server 10.3. I installed the ArcGIS for Server Security 2016 Update 2 Patch which was supposed to address BUG-000090171, but the issue persists. Any PDF attachment over 5MB shows up as gobbledygook in a browser.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

Has anybody found a solution for this in 10.3?

0 Kudos
JosephWallis
New Contributor II

There is no solution.  Not even in 10.4

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue is marked as fixed at 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
GeorgePlumley
Occasional Contributor

But even with all of the 10.4.1 patches installed I'm still having issues with it. Hopefully its fixed with 10.5 which we're going to start testing fairly soon. But I've got services and apps that are still in our production environment that's 10.4.1. Is there an easy fix to this issue?

0 Kudos
MelissaNorthey
Occasional Contributor

Hi Randall,

I'm working with a fresh install of ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1 and having the PDF problem mentioned here.  I don't have any service packs/patches installed but I'm not finding which one I'd need to fix this.  It looks like it should be fine with the 10.4.1 base install.  Besides trying 10.5 (which we are not ready for desktop-wise) are there any other options/work-arounds?

0 Kudos