ArcGIS Server - Changing Maximum Zoom for Level for Published Service

10-06-2023 05:23 PM
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there,

Recently republished one of our map services in ArcGIS Pro that had been published via ArcMap. This Map Service has a tile cache.

Question 1: Why when Overwriting the established service is a new cache created with the name of the Service appended with the date and time? I would have liked the new service to reference the already existing cache, so now there's no way to switch the service back to 

Question 2: I seem unable to find the right way to increase the Maximum Level of Detail setting in the Tiling settings for the service. I have a full cache generated with 13 levels of detail. However, whenever I've overwritten the service - the new service has now defaulted to only allowing 5 maximum levels of detail. The settings are greyed out in ArcGIS Server Manager, and changing them in the Service Properties via Catalog does not seem to have any affect, and the level of detail is still limited.

Is there a way that 1) when I republish a service I can make it use the already existing tile cache rather than generating a new cache with an appended date, and 2) that I can adjust the maximum level of detail for the service so that I can make sure it will use all 13 levels of detail to correspond with the large cache that has been used for the map service so far.

Thank you

Henry
3 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @Henry , you might prefer to split these 2 questions into 2 separate posts, to avoid confusion.

But for Question 1.

Your new _timestamp service is described here.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.7/publish-services/windows/overwriting-a-service-in-arcgi...

"If you select Update cache automatically, all existing tiles are disassociated from your service and become associated with an additional automatically generated service named <service>_<timestamp>.
If you select Update cache manually, all existing tiles are disassociated from your service and become associated with an additional automatically generated service named <service>_<timestamp>."

This allows you to update your cache in the way you choose, either Automatically or Manually, so that the cache will then reflect the updated data in the service.

0 Kudos
VineetMenon
New Contributor II

I'm also looking for answer to question no. 2. Did you find the problem, @Henry?

0 Kudos
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Not quite - but I believe it may be connected to whenever the published service is set to use "Generate dynamically form the data" vs. "using an existing tile cache".

If generating dynamically from the data, the service either needs a lot of time or tops out at 5 levels of detail. Best to be explicit with the server cache and tiles as I mention below.

Best way I found to ensure that the service is using the correct cache and the correct scales is to run the Manage Map Server Cache tool to delete the cache entirely, run it again to create a new cache with the required levels of detail. And then use the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles to generate tiles for all of those cache details. Probably not the most efficient way to to do things - but starting with a clean slate seems to help.

I haven't tested extensively yet - so these are just my first thoughts on it.

Henry
0 Kudos