ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: Why WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) is compulsory when publishing with cached image service?

09-05-2020 11:23 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: Why WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) is compulsory when publishing with cached image service?

I couldn’t figure out why WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) is compulsory when publishing with cached image service.

Is there any way to publish with cached image service but with same coordinate as mosaic?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tutorial: Creating a cached image service—Documentation | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Note:

If the source of your image service is a mosaic dataset, it is important that you use WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) as its coordinate system, which is the same coordinate system used by ArcGIS Online, Google Maps, and Bing Maps.

which later state

If you create a mosaic dataset in a different projection then the one you need to use for caching, you should create a referenced mosaic dataset from the mosaic dataset in the projection you need. This is because you can't change the projection of a mosaic dataset.

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan.

Not sure about the approach suggested to resolve this issue.

Do I need to create a mosaic dataset with “WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere)” to contain imageries with “Palestine_1923_Palestine_Grid” and then to create a “reference mosaic” from the original mosaic?

Jamal Numan
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would say so, do you have a tiling scheme set up for Palestine_1923? This would need to be supplied if it's to be cached.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks David

There is no issue regarding the titling scheme.

But in this case, do I need to convert the images coordinate system from “Palestine_1923_Palestine_Grid” to “WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere)” before adding them to the mosaic that needs to have compulsory “WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere)” projection?

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that is what I said initially... nothing has changed since then

https://community.esri.com/thread/259568-arcgis-server-1071-why-wgs-1984-web-mercator-auxiliary-sphe... 

... sort of retired...