ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: why there are no options for instance type (Dedicated or Shared) in the pooling for Utilities and System services?

10-04-2019 12:01 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: why there are no options for instance type (Dedicated or Shared) in the pooling for Utilities and System services?

I observed that there are no options for instance type (Dedicated or Shared) in the pooling for Utilities and System services

Is this by design?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Look at this blog under the A new option to optimize instances section: Introducing shared instances in ArcGIS Server 10.7 

I think that will answer your question.

--- George T.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you George for the answer.

The blog is not explaining why the Utilities and System services have no Dedicated or Shared options.

Jamal Numan
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The first bullet of the criteria information describes the limitation:

A service must meet certain criteria in order to use the shared instance pool. If it doesn’t, the option will be greyed out in ArcGIS Server Manager. At 10.7, these criteria apply:

• Only map services, including feature services, can use the shared pool.
  • Only certain capabilities of map services—feature access, WFS, WMS, and KML—can be enabled. You can use the Capabilities tab to turn off any incompatible capabilities.
  • Services that have custom server object extensions (SOEs) or server object interceptors (SOIs) cannot use shared instances.
  • Services published from ArcMap cannot use shared instances.
  • Cached map services published from ArcGIS Pro that meet the above requirements can use shared instances.
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Will services from ArcMap ever be able to use shared instances (perhaps in a future release)?

geoffmulligan1
New Contributor

Can image services published in ArcPro from mosaic datasets use the shared instance pool?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I inquired to ESRI tech support about image services published from mosaic datasets in Pro being able to to use the shared instance pool and tech support said that this capability is not available.

I would like to know the time frame of this capability on the ESRI Road Map for Pro and Enterprise please for planning purposes.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This option appears not to be available even in Pro 2.9.1 + ArcGIS Server 10.9.1

Clip_135.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos