ArcGIS Server 10.5 service conflicts with Remote Desktop login into Windows Server 2012 R2 machine

Jump to solution
06-26-2017 08:36 AM
RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

We are in the process of migrating to ArcGIS Server 10.5 and stuck with a strange issue:

ArcGIS Server 10.5 is installed in Windows Server 2012 R2 (virtual machine). Whenever, I tries to remote login to that machine using Remote Desktop- it takes at least 20 minutes to login. But, if I remotely stop the ArcGIS Server Service or change the Log on as a different user/refresh the service, it log in to Remote Desktop right away. Have anybody seen this behavior?

I am also facing supplementary problems which I don't want to list as this is the critical one to be solved first.

Also, here is a list of things which I did and miserably failed:

1. Log On as ArcGIS Server service using a domain account (which works fine in our ArcGIS Server 10.3 production environment) has slow login to Remote Server (using Remote Desktop). When remotely changed the Log on as ArcGIS Server service to local account(and refreshed), Remote Desktop immediately logs in to the Remote Server. So, I though it has something to do with domain account. 

2. Log On as ArcGIS Server service using a previous Local account again has slow login to Remote Server (using Remote Desktop). When remotely changed the Log on as ArcGIS Server service to local system account or domain account(and refreshed), Remote Desktop immediately logs in to the Remote Server. Now, it's clear that it has nothing to do with domain account or local account or local system account - but with ArcGIS Server 10.5. 

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You may want to review this tech article: Problem: Remote desktop logins are very slow when running ArcGIS Server with Windows Server 2012 and... 

Is this what you are experiencing?

--- George T.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
George_Thompson

You may want to review this tech article: Problem: Remote desktop logins are very slow when running ArcGIS Server with Windows Server 2012 and... 

Is this what you are experiencing?

--- George T.
RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

Thank you George. Yes, that was exactly what's happening. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Unfortunately, it looks like a MS issue and there is not anything that we can do at this point.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

Really unfortunate! ESRI could at least put a technical note pointing to this link or take WS 2012 out from the system requirements document which makes our life easy:(

Now, I have to see whether we can go to WS2016. Is there a way I can move over the config files for ArcGIS Server so that I don't have to republish map services after reinstall? Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure about the last question. It may be best to open a Technical Support case or create a new question on GeoNet regarding the migrations.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

re: moving services, you may want to check GitHub - eea/discomap.ServiceTransferTool: Transfer tool 

and How copy map service from one ArcGIS server to another ArcGIS server  

EDIT:  and Move/Copy Services to another Service Directory 

for some discussion.  I've been successful with copying some services over, assuming all data connection names and access is the same. 

RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca, I'll try it out. 

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, this is a known issue in Group Policy that Microsoft has addressed in Windows Server 2016.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Microsoft has addressed this issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034681/windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-update-kb4034681

"Addressed issue to prevent user logon delays when processes that have registered top-level windows fail to respond to BroadcastSystemMessages sent by the Group Policy Preference client-side extensions."