ArcGIS Server (10.4+) cluster shared directory architecture

03-26-2018 06:24 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Talking with Esri Support, and looking at documentation, it seems like the only supported architecture for a 2+ node ArcGIS Server cluster is using a network share for the config-store and other arcgisserver directories.  

I'm curious if anyone has had success with using Microsoft Windows Server Cluster Shared Volume (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2013/12/02/cluster-shared-volume-csv-inside-out/ ) instead?  

This is a feature of Windows Server 2008 R2 and above that can operate as another shared location between two or more servers - Esri support tells me a network share is the only supported architecture, but I'm curious if that's because they haven't fully tested Cluster Shared Volume, or actually found issues with using Cluster Shared Volume.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I know we've done extensive testing with Microsoft on DFS, and it turns out it wasn't immediately consistent enough for ArcGIS Server. I'm not sure how much testing has been done with CSV but if there are any issues with file caching, then it won't play nice with ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

So far have been successfully using CSV for a 2 node ARcGIS Server cluster with no issues (at least no issues related to the CSV).  Here's hoping that keeps up!

NazmulHossain
New Contributor

pls help me ,, How to configure 2 node Arcgis server cluster .. I am trying .. pls help .. step by  step idea .. 

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

Nazmul,

What specifically are you looking for guidance with? How to setup a milti-machine ArcGIS Server site?

Please take a look here:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/multiple-machine-deployment-with-arcg...

Let me know if this helps out.

0 Kudos
NazmulHossain
New Contributor

My question :

1. What is arcgis server  to be added in Domain controller ?

2. web portal added only one arcgis server link , how to add seceondary link arcgis server ?

3. I was added domain controller in arcgis server, but arcgis server portal not access other people . just portal show into my own server pc only . 

4. How to add 2 items portal for arcgis ?

any body help easily full active passive mode in  arcgis server .

5. easily solution and pre-request  in arcgis server solutions ...

6. we can not use in domain controller then  what can i do two arcgis servers are connect cluser mode .. VVVVVVVVVVVI this my question ,,, Pls help me ..   

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

1. What is arcgis server  to be added in Domain controller ? With the ArcGIS Server software, this is not supported installing on a domain controller. The only time a domain controller may come into play with this is if you are looking at utilizing Windows Active Directory for the user store.

2. web portal added only one arcgis server link , how to add seceondary link arcgis server ? Not sure what you mean. When you have a milti machine ArcGIS Server site, there is still a mail ArcGIS Server URL link that you will utilize as that is the main site url

3. I was added domain controller in arcgis server, but arcgis server portal not access other people . just portal show into my own server pc only .  Not sure what you are asking with this question, can you elaborate?

4. How to add 2 items portal for arcgis ? What are you asking here?

any body help easily full active passive mode in  arcgis server .

5. easily solution and pre-request  in arcgis server solutions ... Not sure what you are asking

6. we can not use in domain controller then  what can i do two arcgis servers are connect cluser mode ArcGIS Server utilizes a single-cluster at this time

0 Kudos
KennethLohr1
New Contributor II

I'd also be interested to hear more feedback from those who have used clustered shared volumes for the config store and server directories.  My organization is leveraging a hyper-converged environment (which isn't uncommon today), and having a reliable path or guidance from Esri on this topic would be extremely helpful.  Logically, it seems like the ideal solution.  We tried DFS when we had standalone servers and it was not reliable.  Network shares, I think, add an unnecessary layer of complexity and latency in a hyper-converged environment.  

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

2+ years going including an upgrade of enterprise to 10.6 and configuring portal as HA (2 nodes @ active/standby), arcgisserver and arcgisportal directories all on a CSV, and no issues we've seen thus far. 

KennethLohr1
New Contributor II

Great to know, Jay.  Appreciate it.  I think logically, CSV satisfies Esri's guidance for "immediate consistency," however that will bear out during our testing.  I haven't decided on an load balancing vs active/standby configuration but I will do testing with 2 machines active.  It doesn't seem that an active/standby configuration would test the consistency requirement, as two servers are not accessing the config store and server directories simultaneously.  I could be wrong, again...just thinking logically. 

Our team performed some testing to get some numbers concerning the other vague requirement, "small, random I/O," and it would appear at least in our environment that the test results are more than acceptable.  This is much more dependent upon specific hardware, topology and configuration though, rather than virtual volume type (SMB, CSV, et al)...I think.