ArcGIS Server (10.4+) cluster shared directory architecture

03-26-2018 06:24 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Talking with Esri Support, and looking at documentation, it seems like the only supported architecture for a 2+ node ArcGIS Server cluster is using a network share for the config-store and other arcgisserver directories.  

I'm curious if anyone has had success with using Microsoft Windows Server Cluster Shared Volume (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2013/12/02/cluster-shared-volume-csv-inside-out/ ) instead?  

This is a feature of Windows Server 2008 R2 and above that can operate as another shared location between two or more servers - Esri support tells me a network share is the only supported architecture, but I'm curious if that's because they haven't fully tested Cluster Shared Volume, or actually found issues with using Cluster Shared Volume.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Kenneth Lohr

can you share the outcomes of your Department's testing of CSV?

KennethLohr1
New Contributor II

Sure.  I have had two instances of ArcGIS Server (virtual machines) running, using CSV for their shared config store and server directories for almost a year with zero failures or problems.  Obviously this requires robust infrastructure supporting CSV in order to be a success, so it doesn't prove that it's a superior strategy, just that ArcGIS Server doesn't seem to have a problem with it given our specific hardware and network configuration.