ArcGIS Server 10.3 - Unable to Start Map Service with SDE data

04-29-2015 08:21 AM
JasonHansel
New Contributor

Hello Everyone.

I am having a major issue with ArcGIS Server 10.3, even after installing the timeout pack. When I try to publish a Map Service containing SDE Data (data store configured, database authentication, Oracle 11gR2), directly from ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 via MXD or uploading a .SD, I receive these errors:

Error Log:

type="severe" code="8274" Service startup timeout

Geoprocessing Result:

Error 001369 (see attached)

I have no issues publishing a Map Service using data from a file geodatabase (configured in datastore, option to copy data to sever unchecked). I have verified the SOC user has permissions to SDE Feature Classes.

As a troubleshooting measure, I installed ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 (data store configured, database authentication, Oracle 11gR2) and was able to publish with no issue using the same configurations.

I am running:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1

vMware 5.5.0

All System Requirements are met.

Thanks,
Jason

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jason,

How many services (ARCSOC.exe)you already published at your machine ?

and How many cores are installed on you machine ?

the number on the ArcSOC.exe should be < 4*number of cores

see the following link :

https://community.esri.com/thread/114458#428746

0 Kudos
JasonHansel
New Contributor

Ahmad,

Thanks for the link. The issue is solely related to publishing a service with a registered SDE Oracle 11g database. I did notice that the directories and files are created under arcgisinput and then get removed when the error occurs. I have 4 CPU and am running 7 SOC processes. I was able to publish the same data with the database being unregistered and data was copied to the server. I have done the same workflow using 10.2.2 and do not see the issue at all.

0 Kudos
JasonHansel
New Contributor

Thought I'd share that there is a bug with 10.3 and starting Map Services referencing SDE data in an Oracle database. ESRI Support was awesome on this incident. Basically, at ArcGIS Server 10.3, there is a schema cache that is created when a service with SDE data is started. When your SDE geodatabase contains large amounts of data, the process of producing the schema cache takes longer and times out. I had to change my service start-up timeout. Starting 1 service with 1 feature class took 8 minutes. While you can stagger recycling, my concern would be from a reboot, which could cause a serious spike in CPU for an extended period of time, in some instances maybe locking the server.

BUG-000087594 - Service start up times increase the more feature classes exist in an Oracle database and the service is serving data from the Oracle database in ArcGIS Server 10.3.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jason:

The bugs says "Service start up times increase the more feature classes exist in an Oracle database and the service is serving data from the Oracle database in ArcGIS Server 10.3."

If you have 200 feature classes in SDE and only 50 participate in AGS services, do the feature classes not being using by AGS affect the start up time for the AGS services using SDE data?

You also said "I am having a major issue with ArcGIS Server 10.3, even after installing the timeout pack".  What is the exact name of this timeout pack that you applied to your AGS software?

0 Kudos
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II

We are experiencing the same exact issue.  It is not related to Oracle as we are using SQL Server.  We have lot of feature classes.  When we upgraded from 10.2.x to 10.3.1, the time it took to turn on a map service increased exponentially. I hope Esri can quickly acknowledge this issue, mark it as high priority, and provide a hot fix for everyone that is affected.  (For folks that implement security with large number of GDB objects will feel the pain of this bug)

0 Kudos
DominicRorke
New Contributor II

Having talked with ESRI support I understand that we are hitting the same underlying issue, but with ArcGIS desktop 10.3.1 against SQL Server.  We hit this when trying to open mxd's or layer files which reference feature classes in geodatabases containing a large number of feature classes. 10.2.2 mxd's were opening in 5 or 10 seconds, but identical 10.3.1 mxd's were taking 2.5 minutes (and sometimes as long as 5.5 minutes) to open.

To try and pinpoint the issue we ran SDE Intercepts when opening the test mxd on both 10.2.2 and 10.3.1 machines (these mxd’s contained identical data with one being 10.2.2 compatible and one being 10.3.1 compatible), and have found that the 10.3.1 intercept logs a command call (‘EnableSchemaCache’) which the 10.2.2 intercept does not, and it is this call which is causing 10.3.1 mxd opening to take so much longer than on 10.2.2.

EnableSchemaCaching will be slowing the loading of any 10.3.1 mxd which referenced SDE Feature Classes to some degree compared to with 10.2.2, but the performance hit may not be noticable if the geodatabase only contains a small number of Feature Classes (say 30 or 40).  The 2.5 minutes start-up we are experiencing is with a geodatabase containing 3.5K Feature Classes.

I suspect that other 10.3.1 users must be hitting this performance issue too, but have not yet pinpointed the cause as this.

0 Kudos
Streltzer_Tracie
New Contributor III

This could be our issue with 10.3.1 mxds failing for a lot of users. Is there a known defect for this issue?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What do you mean when you say "failing"?  Are the MXDs just not opening?  You can determine if it's a problem in the communication between ArcMap and the database by running an SDEINTERCEPT.  This will record all of the transactions between the two and you can see if there's a particular request that fails or takes a long time.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are using ArcGIS Server 10.3.1/ Desktop 10.3.1 / Oracle 11g.

We are able to connect to ArcGIS Server REST Directory, but clicking on a service gives the following error.

Error: Error handling service request :Service startup timeout.

Code: 500

Also publishing fails. The services show as started in ArcGIS Server Manager, but none of them respond. Also on stopping and starting a map service, the service fails to start again.

I feel we are facing the following bug (BUG-000087594).

Do we have a resolution (patches) for BUG-000087594 without upgrading to later version?

Think Location
0 Kudos