ArcGIS Server 10.1 and ArcSDE 10.0...is it possible?

Jump to solution
03-03-2014 04:47 AM
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
Is it possible to upgrade ArcGIS Server to 10.1, leaving ArcSDE running 10.0? Will ArcSDE 10.0 be backward compatible to ArcGIS for Server 10.1?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Is it possible to upgrade ArcGIS Server to 10.1, leaving ArcSDE running 10.0? Will ArcSDE 10.0 be backward compatible to ArcGIS for Server 10.1?

I guess you meant to ask if ArcGIS for Server 10.1 is backward compatible with ArcSDE 10.0, not the other way around.

The answer is yes, ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 should connect fine to an ArcSDE 10.0 Application Server and / or 10.0 Geodatatabase. ESRI even recommends during an upgrade of the software stack, to always first upgrade the clients (ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop are both clients of the RDBMS), and only than the Geodatabase and / or ArcSDE Application Server (if you still run an Application Server, ESRI recommends to switch to Direct Connect).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Is there any reason why you cannot upgrade SDE at the same time?
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
I am not a part of our IT Department, and therefore, upgrades are quite an ordeal here. Would prefer not to upgrade ArcSDE, at least to test on the QA server, if possible.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I guess you meant to ask if ArcGIS for Server 10.1 is backward compatible with ArcSDE 10.0, not the other way around.

The answer is yes, ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 should connect fine to an ArcSDE 10.0 Application Server and / or 10.0 Geodatatabase. ESRI even recommends during an upgrade of the software stack, to always first upgrade the clients (ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop are both clients of the RDBMS), and only than the Geodatabase and / or ArcSDE Application Server (if you still run an Application Server, ESRI recommends to switch to Direct Connect).
0 Kudos