ArcGIS Enterprise Portal Upgrade Error 10.7.1

09-04-2019 04:55 AM
SharfrajZaman1
New Contributor II

I was trying to upgrade the ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1. I was stuck with an issue and the error was " Failed to execute SQL file  C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\template\sql\10.7.0_to_10.7.1\livingatlasdiff.sql "

Since in my case case it is a disconnected environment and I am not using internet in my machine and also I am not using livingatlas; so for the time being to troubleshoot the issue, I removed the "livingatlasdiff.sql" file from its original location (although kept it as a backup) and tried to upgrade the Portal which eventually upgraded successfully from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1. Does anyone faced similar problem and how it is resolved. Kindly let me know.

Portal Upgrade Error Portal upgraded from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1 successfully

20 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Take at look at this documentation from the upgrade information; Configure Living Atlas content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SaraAbasi
New Contributor III

Sharfaraj,

How did you resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue....ESRI has been working on a fix for over a day.  I may try what you did.  Were there any unexpected consequences?  Amazingly the reason for the error is deleted living atlas content.  Who knew

error message

DougKnight
New Contributor II

Jeff,

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am in the same boat. What did you do or try for a work around?

0 Kudos
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

I had thought about deleting the livingatlasdif.sql file like mentioned above but this is my production environment so I was hesitant.  I have a premium support ticket in and they have been working on the fix for 4 days.  This apparently is an known issue since 10.6.  If you have any living atlas content deleted from your portal this will happen.  This script is trying to update all the living atlas items and if they don't exist it fails.  The strange part is the living atlas items are not even delete protected.  Seems like a huge oversight on ESRI's part.

0 Kudos
DougKnight
New Contributor II

Totally agree, not delete protected and basically forced all over your organization content.  I talked to ESRI this morning and they suggested I look at the admin page here: your_portal_url/portalname/portaladmin/system/indexer and then run index status.  He said if there is stuff in there mismatched to reindex it and it should work. This process basically updates that sql file for the livning atlas stuff and it should skip over those ones that got deleted, I am trying to recreate this dilemma in my dev environment.  Have you come across this information yet,  This after my 4th call to tech support on our maintenance agreement

0 Kudos
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

This is not the case.  My index was fine.

The livingatlas script is part of the create site function in the installer.  If any living atlas item that was originally installed is missing this script will fail.  This must be a difficult fix because I have premium support and esri developers working on this and they have been for a while.  I am not sure what to tell you other than let your support analyst know that this is a current ticket with premium support and you have the same issue.

DougKnight
New Contributor II

Jeff,

I was able to install 10.6.1 on my dev environment, blow away all of the living atlas layers and then try to upgrade to 10.7.1 and got the exact same issues again.  I am confident like you this is the issue.  I did the 10.7.1 upgrade, and then tried to do the post install upgrade which obviously failed. Using Sharfraj Nawaj Tosrif Zaman strategy of removing C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\template\sql\10.7.0_to_10.7.1\livingatlasdiff.sql and then performing the post install upgrade a second time around, I had regular success. I have not seen any issues or anything since other than the index being out of whack which I am reindexing right now.  I think Im going to use this method when I upgrade my production environment this Friday.  I really dont see any other way around it without having to do a fresh clean install

0 Kudos
SaraAbasi
New Contributor III

I did delete it and the upgrade completed successfully. 

I will contact Esri tech support to discuss and avoid future upgrade failures.