ArcGIS Enterprise Migration to Windows from RHEL

03-10-2020 06:49 PM
TimothyBrown1
New Contributor II

Anyone migrate from RHEL to Windows Server? We have full enterprise setup on multiple machines to include multiple ArcServers, ImageServer, Portal and a few Web Adaptors. Trying to figure out how to migrate portal content and apps without having to do it manually as we have over 2000+ users.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Timothy, my first thought would be to use the WebGIS DR tool to backup the content, services and settings in your existing RHEL Enterprise deployment - then set up a like for like Windows Server environment with the same versions of your ArcGIS Enterprise products and restore the backup into the Windows environment. 

ArcGIS Enterprise backups—Portal for ArcGIS (10.8) | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise  

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The DR tool can only be used to migrate between operating system versions, (Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2019, or RHEL 6.5 to RHEL 7.x, for example). It can't be used to migrate between Windows to Linux or vice versa. You could look into the Python API's cloning sample:

Clone Portal users, groups and content | ArcGIS for Developers 

There are some things you'll need to manage yourself, like non-hosted services.

TimothyBrown1
New Contributor II

Any gotcha's I need to be aware of?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

For the Python API approach? I haven't worked with it directly, but you can post to the Python channel if you run into any issues.

0 Kudos
TimothyBrown1
New Contributor II

Thanks, will do

0 Kudos
TimothyBrown1
New Contributor II

Once items have been cloned to the new instance, where do the application configs go? do they reside with the original server? When I say apps I mean WAB, Dashboards, Sites etc..

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If the item has been properly copied over, URL references for reaching the app should all point to the target environment. You'll likely need to update other refernces, such as operational and basemap layer URLs, or URLs within widgets.

0 Kudos