ArcGIS Enterprise licensing

Jump to solution
07-22-2021 12:31 AM
Govindarajan
New Contributor II

Hello All

Could someone help me in understanding the licensing level as in 10.8.1?

Question: Which of the following two combinations when published as a web map would require an editor license to add and remove features ?

Option 1:
Base maps from enterprise portal 10.8.1 or ArcGIS Online
Editable feature services from a federated/hosting published via portal?

Yes. We need a Editor license.

Option 2:
Base maps from enterprise portal 10.8.1 or ArcGIS Online
Editable feature services published from standalone ArcGIS Server?

My guess is no. Can someone confirm this?

1. Can editable WFS-T editable feature services published from an open-source GIS server can be added to the webmap?  Using the Add an Item from the web option in Portal mapviewer supports WFS but there is no reference to WFS-T?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like the way Esri prevents this is very simple, you can add a Geoserver WFS-T service to an Esri "map" but you cannot edit it.

In Geoserver, enabling editing means giving "complete" access to the service and setting appropriate permissions. (In my test, I enabled anonymous writes.) There is no separate support for WFS-T, just "WFS"

If you can't put a writable layer into an esri map, then you can't create apps either.

It looks like you can't edit WFS-T in ArcGIS Pro either.

You can use OpenLayers (I've never tried Leaflet) and QGIS to consume most Esri services but not the other way around.

I could see workflows where you could use open source to put data into a Geoserver WFS-T service and then view it in a webmap, for example automated collection via a GPS tracker.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Brian_Wilson

I am thinking the only hope of something working would be #3, WFS-T

What server are you planning on using for WFS-T? Geoserver?

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

It looks like the way Esri prevents this is very simple, you can add a Geoserver WFS-T service to an Esri "map" but you cannot edit it.

In Geoserver, enabling editing means giving "complete" access to the service and setting appropriate permissions. (In my test, I enabled anonymous writes.) There is no separate support for WFS-T, just "WFS"

If you can't put a writable layer into an esri map, then you can't create apps either.

It looks like you can't edit WFS-T in ArcGIS Pro either.

You can use OpenLayers (I've never tried Leaflet) and QGIS to consume most Esri services but not the other way around.

I could see workflows where you could use open source to put data into a Geoserver WFS-T service and then view it in a webmap, for example automated collection via a GPS tracker.

Govindarajan
New Contributor II

Hi Brian

Yes, I am considering GeoServer for WFS-T. Just like to understand the impact on licensing

0 Kudos
Govindarajan
New Contributor II

Thanks Brian. You guessed it right. Just trying to propose a solution that would combine the best of both ArcGIS Enterprise and GeoServer WFS-T with an eye on licensing. However it appears that  this is not possible. Will keep exploring. Thanks for your support

0 Kudos