ArcGIS Enterprise installation question: service account

11-13-2019 12:33 AM
ZHIDONGCHEN3
New Contributor

While installing ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS DataStore, each of these requires an account name, for example:

My question is, do these accounts have to be the same (arcgis)? or I can specify each of these with a different name, such as, "server" for ArcGIS Server, "portal" for Portal for ArcGIS, "datastore" for ArcGIS Data Store.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zhidong,

> ... do these accounts have to be the same (arcgis)? 

Yes, I would use the same account to ensure that communication between the different ArcGIS Enterprise components work smoothly. Some background,

The ArcGIS Server account—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ZHIDONGCHEN3
New Contributor

Thanks a bunch, Derek!

0 Kudos
MeghanKulkarni
New Contributor III

Hello Derek,

Is their a way to retrieve this account's password or reset it? I lost it. I'm trying to upgrade my server to 10.8 but I can't since I lost this password.

Thanks

Meghan Kulkarni

0 Kudos
MarkBierman
New Contributor II

Megan since this is a windows service account or linux depending on your OS you can change the password in the accounts management utility for either OS.  Here is the link for each.  You can easily change the password doing the following.  Just make sure prior to upgrading that you also complete the following as its very important to make sure all permissions are set prior to starting the upgrade other wise the upgrade is prone to fail.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490115/windows-change-or-reset-your-password 

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-set-change-password-how-to/ 

MeghanKulkarni
New Contributor III

Thanks a ton .

Cheers,

Meghan Kulkarni

0 Kudos
MarkBierman
New Contributor II

If you prefer to use different accounts, you can do that as well!  There are many instances where different service accounts are used in deploying the Enterprise applications.  The thing you will need to take into consideration is if you are using different accounts.  You can use different accounts if you like and simply go in and make sure that each account has read and write permissions to the folders associated with the other applications.  For example.  Server needs permission to portal and datastore.  Portal needs permission to server and datastore, Datastore needs permission to portal and server.  If you went in and gave those accounts read and write permission to each folder, you would not have a problem.  The best recommendation that we can make though is that you do use a single service account and that your single service account is an active directory account with a static password so that permissions can be passed between machines easy enough should you ever decided to make this a multi machine site.  

0 Kudos