Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Enterprise Builder Upgrade Failed (10.7.1>10.9.1)

11-08-2022 09:39 AM
timshapiro
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 was installed on a single machine deployment with Enterprise Builder.  Attempted to Upgrade to 10.9.1 also using builder, and the portal web adapter failed to install so the configuration wizard would not launch.  I installed the 10.9.1 portal web adapter manually, but when attempting to license portal manually (using upgradeportal command line utility) I get the error "Token Required".  I am able to access ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory normally, and looks like the server upgrade to 10.9.1 was successful, but cannot access server manager, portal admin, or portal home...  Any advice for how to proceed would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
timshapiro
New Contributor III

Is it safe to do a manual upgrade on an install that was completed with builder?  I un-installed and re-installed at 10.7.1 using builder based on your recommendation, but I cannot think of anywhere during the enterprise builder upgrade process to 10.9.1 that I could do anything differently to avoid the error this time.  Would hate to run into the exact same issue a 2nd time and considering trying a manual upgrade if it will give me more control / troubleshooting options if the issue occurs again

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

It should never have failed in the first place.  The idea of Enterprise Builder is that you don't have these issues.

So two things to consider:

1. Can you turn the anti-virus off before upgrading?  It may help considerably.
  2. Have you installed this on Amazon Web Services?  I once had a client that had used a lower-grade disk, and it literally ran out of IOPs.  We ended up upgrading the disk to a high-performance disk and then it worked sweetly.  That was a manul build, but it's just a consideration from the kit bag.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
timshapiro
New Contributor III

We don't actually have anti-virus on this machine yet.  Were waiting until we are ready to go live to install the anti-virus software.  No, this is not installed on AWS.  Thanks for the ideas thought.  Ill give it another go with builder and hope for better results round 2!

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

okay - that's all good.  If you get 10.7.1 working and the webgisdr package imported and all is working, then I strongly recommend taking a snapshot/image of that machine before starting the upgrade.  That way you have a very quick rollback to a good point, and multiple opportunities to explore different upgrade paths if it does fail.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
timshapiro
New Contributor III

Good plan, we will do that before we proceed.  Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
timshapiro
New Contributor III

Hi Scott.  I re-installed 10.7 successfully, took the snapshot, and attempted the upgrade to 10.9 using AEB again.  Everything installed successfully this time, but got the following error message during the configuration wizard steps:

Unable to register the Portal with the Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal is running and that the account specified has administrative privileges.

I have verified that the portal is indeed running.  The account is the same account used to install and configure 10.7.

The wizard kicks back to the "License and Upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise" screen, where it asks for the .json portal license. 

If I try to configure the web adaptor manually, I get the same error message as the initial upgrade attempt 

Failed to get administrator token from Portal. Please verify that the Portal URL specified can be accessed successfully.

If I try to access the portal page directly I get the error message that "No portal is configured"

Is it possible that the issue is with the license file itself?  Or would that deliver a different error message? 

Any other thoughts based on these results?  Thanks again for all your assistance on this

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

When you say it kicks back to the License and Upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise screen, have you applied the JSON file at that point?  Can you confirm it's the 10.9.1 license and not the original 10.7.x JSON file?

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
timshapiro
New Contributor III

correct, I can confirm it is the 10.9.1 license file.  Yes, I apply the JSON file at the first step and click next, then it spins for a while, get the green check marks for the first few steps of the configuration process, and it appears that it fails during or immediately following the "Register data stores with the ArcGIS Server" step, returning to the initial License screen with the error message  "Unable to register the Portal with the Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal is running and that the account specified has administrative privileges."

The only page I can access successfully is Server Admin.  I cannot access Server Manager, Portal Home, or Portal Admin...

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Yikes.  And this is why I like doing things manually.  I'd recommend reviewing this:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.9.1/install/windows/upgrade-portal-for-arcgis.htm#ESRI_SE...

If no joy there, then roll back the VM snapshot and individually upgrade the portal, its web adaptor, the server, its web adaptor, and then the data store.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.9.1/install/windows/upgrade-portal-for-arcgis.htm#ESRI_SE... 

I think I said the other day I was told to install Enterprise manually once, and then always use an installer.  Frankly I've used the installers once and prefer to install/upgrade manually.  I get more control, it may take longer to do - but generally I have less of the issues that you're having.  

If you follow this advice and go 'manual', you'll never be able to go back to Enterprise Builder.  But I'd say you're beyond that already.  The only thing I can think is that you've changed a setting after using Enterprise Builder, that Enterprise Builder didn't expect to be changed.  

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos