ArcGIS Enterprise Builder getting stuck at 'Register Data Stores with GIS Server'

Jump to solution
09-26-2019 04:00 AM
BenO_Connor
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I've been doing a base installation using ArcGIS Enterprise Builder 10.7.1, but hit a point where the Configuration Wizard appears frozen on the "Register Data Stores with GIS Server" task (it has been like this for about 8 hours):

ArcGIS Enterprise Builder - Configuration Wizard frozen

The install is on a completely fresh Windows Server 2016 VM, and the only bit where I've made any change from default in the installation process are changing the install location to a non-system drive: D:\Program Files\ArcGIS

When asked for the content directory, the default was D:\arcgis. I checked and the installation had already created this folder with a small amount of items in there, but I still accepted that location assumed the default would be best.

The only bit of the installation which had gone non-standard was that I had to run the Software Authorization for ArcGIS Server wizard part way through. But it happily continued with the installation after that.

Does anybody have any ideas for what could be going wrong to cause this freezing up, or any pointers of which log file should be providing the best troubleshooting info? Or maybe what I should check for to see if the installation is actually doing something in the background?

Many thanks!

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ben,

You can do some validation in the Portal Administrator's directory, by running the Validate Servers operation. Here's some documentation on this: Validate Servers—ArcGIS REST API: Administer your portal | ArcGIS for Developers 

The workflow to do this, in a nutshell, is:

1. Go to your Portal Admin endpoint (The URL is typically: https://<your portal URL>/arcgis/portaladmin)
  2. Click on "Federation"
  3. Click on "Servers"
  4. Click on "Validate" 

This does a series of validation checks for your deployment, and will return any issues if encountered.

Furthermore, you may wish to go into ArcGIS Server Manager and validate your ArcGIS Data Store from there. The link to the workflow on this can be found here: Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Server Manager—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

That installation time which you experienced is definitely out of the ordinary! I'm not sure what could have caused this in your environment, but I do recommend running the above validation checks to make sure everything was installed correctly. Following those validation checks, doing some tasks such as publishing a test hosted feature layer will also help to ensure that everything is working correctly.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ben,

There are log files found in the C:\ProgramData folder on the computer where you ran the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder - There may be some messages in there that can give some insight.

Based on the issue you're running into, my suggestion is to check and see whether there are any ports in-use which are used by the ArcGIS Data Store, which could be preventing this step from completing.

See the following resource for an overview of the ports used by the Data Store: Ports used by ArcGIS Data Store—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You may be running into an issue where some of the necessary ports are in use and may need to be opened. I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
BenO_Connor
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. It looks like the log files in that folder stop being used at an earlier point in the installation process.

However, when I logged into the machine to look at the log files, the configuration process had actually finished. But it appears to have taken nearly 24 hours for the "Register Data Stores with GIS Server" step to complete. As it completed just after midnight, I was thinking that maybe the cycling of an internal ArcGIS Server component had jump started the configuration?

As this installation time sounds out of the ordinary, I was wondering if there are any options to perform a health check on the installation?

Kind regards,
Ben

ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ben,

You can do some validation in the Portal Administrator's directory, by running the Validate Servers operation. Here's some documentation on this: Validate Servers—ArcGIS REST API: Administer your portal | ArcGIS for Developers 

The workflow to do this, in a nutshell, is:

1. Go to your Portal Admin endpoint (The URL is typically: https://<your portal URL>/arcgis/portaladmin)
  2. Click on "Federation"
  3. Click on "Servers"
  4. Click on "Validate" 

This does a series of validation checks for your deployment, and will return any issues if encountered.

Furthermore, you may wish to go into ArcGIS Server Manager and validate your ArcGIS Data Store from there. The link to the workflow on this can be found here: Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Server Manager—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

That installation time which you experienced is definitely out of the ordinary! I'm not sure what could have caused this in your environment, but I do recommend running the above validation checks to make sure everything was installed correctly. Following those validation checks, doing some tasks such as publishing a test hosted feature layer will also help to ensure that everything is working correctly.

BenO_Connor
New Contributor II

Great! I've run those steps and they are all showing the validation was successful for both the components. I'll run some publishing tasks to ensure that is all working correctly also.

Thanks Thomas!

0 Kudos