Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 is not printing features with custom print widget

05-05-2023 10:56 AM
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

Hello. I need your help friends.

I just installed ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 yesterday and found out that my custom print widget is not able to print feature service features. The pdf map from the print widget comes out blank with just the base layer and no features on it.  It prints image service and tile service features, but not feature service features. I'm in distress. All our agency application are built using Web AppBuilder applications and they have feature service in them because we want folks to be able to edit features, however when printing the features do not show up. This issue will render our enterprise useless.

Please help. I'm sure one of you have a resolution or work around.

Thank you,
Abi

51 Replies
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

This is what I’m also thinking. Until we figure out what is going on we can ‘disable ArcGIS Service Directory’. That way unauthorized users cannot get hold of the service directory and the apps require credentials to get in. That keeps the data safe? If so business can function as usual? I also have a few other ideas to test in the mean time. We can talk about it. What is your advise?

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

The earlier option, I don’t think will work, but making the service only queryable by who created the feature may be our solution at this time so general public can’t see our data. That’s our biggest concern.

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

Instead the resolution now is to make query available only to those who created the data. That should keep our data away from public visibility! That’s our big thing. In the mean time we can continue our research into the bug

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

Making query unavailable to public also does not work. I tested it this morning. The minute you take away query from public in Server manager there is no feature and no legend on the print pdf in Portal 11.1.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal 

Making query unavailable to public also does not work.

If you turn off query operation, it only impact if you add a layer off a map service as a feature layer. If you add the entire map service as map image layer (aka map service layer), then this query operation should not affect while drawing (as the draw technically happens on the server) and legend.

Popup should continue to work as JS API at that point should fall back to identify operation. The areas that will not work, when you have query operation turned off, are 'opening attribute tables' and some widgets that rely solely on query operations.

it is just a FYI 🙂

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

We knew that when the BUG was logged last year. It was only the feature service that is impacted. However.

After a lot of testing this morning this is what I have figured out. I'm having to remake my web map for the print widget to work as expected from a 'feature service'. The features and legend both show up now despite it not being public. Yes, not public.  Working normally thus far. I'm still configuring my Web Map and web AppBuilder app. I have to do this across all my apps, basiclly rebuild all my apps from scratch. Make brand new Web Maps and then Web AppBuilder apps. Save as of the Web Map will not work because it seems to carry over the print issue. I tried adding a new print widget to the old Web AppBuilder app and that is also not working. It has omething to do with Web Map and Web App not supporting expected print output after Enterprise 11.1 install. 

Also, please note that servicing Map Image 'feature service' from 11.1 does not honor feature templates. It all comes out grey. I'm having to deal with that problem as well.

Thank you for continuing to show interest. In anticipation of a solution.
Abi

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoque 

I think I got to the bottom of why my prints were not printing as expected. It appears like the problem is coming from one of my layers. After a lot of hard work for 15.3 hours yesterday I was able to isolate the problem and also fix it, but I still do not know why that layer is causing the problem. When I uncheck the layer on the Web AppBuilder it prints fine, but with the layer checked the features and legends from other layers do not show up in a print pdf. I have the layer sent to Esri to see what is going on. This was not happening with Enterprise 11 except once and I opened up a BUG then, but with Enterprise 11.1 it is happening across all my apps.

Once I found out it was the layer that was causing the problem. I was like ok I can now resolve it becasue all I have to do is reservice the layer. Not so quickly. Reservicing with ArcGIS Pro 3.1 did not do it.

1. Installed ArcGIS Pro 2.5. Tried to service the layer to Enterprise 11.1. BTW, I was not able to service from ArcGIS Pro 2.5 to Enterprise 11.1. It just would not service and give me error.
2. Installed ArcGIS Pro 2.9. Serviced the layer in concern successfully. Upon adding the new service pdf prints came out as expected from the Web AppBuilder apps. The were great. Suddenly though, I do not know why it stopped printing the features and legends again.
3. I then made a tile service. That didn't do it either.
4. At this stage I was ready to delete the service I had created from ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I though I try one other thing. I added the service that I created using ArcGIS Pro 2.9 (this was not the case for service form ArcGIS Pro 3.1) back as an Item to my Portal. Suprisingly, it is now working. Got my fingeres crossed. Hope it keeps working.  

This is also what I want to point out.

Please note that servicing Map Image 'feature service' from 11.1 does not honor feature templates. It all comes out grey. I'm having to deal with that problem right now. It displays normally in the new Map Viewer, but in the Classic Viewer the layer templates all become grey. @TanuHoque I am hoping you can help me with this.

Thank you,
Abi

GoranGobac
New Contributor III

Hi @AbiDhakal ,
thx for the post I have a similar Problem with 10.8.1 and this is happening after Latest Portal Security patch (we think).
@TanuHoque is it possible that you do not see the problems form other countries (Germany) that are reported.
I have 600 Users that are impacted with this Problem and I can not go Public with our Services.
It would be great for Community if Esri would post Known Issues that emerge.
Like the Problem with Shape.Area Attributes with Referenced Services that are still giving FALSE results in Spatial calculation in Portal in 10.8.1 with 19c Oracle and no one gives a dam. Just disappointing.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@GoranGobac 
Could you please share BUG#s for the issues that you reported? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@GoranGobac 

Thank you for pointing out your issue. Hopefully, this time with the help of @TanuHoque we can make it work.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos