ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 upgrade. Why am I not seeing the 'Continue Server Upgrade' option?

Jump to solution
08-10-2018 03:45 AM
MattBull1
Esri Contributor

I am attempting an upgrade of an HA ArcGIS Enterprise deployment hosted in AWS. The initial environment was built using the Esri provided CloudFormation template v10.4.1. A system diagram can be found here: http://arcgisstore1041.s3.amazonaws.com/5686/docs/ReadmeHAWebGIS.html

The environment was subsequently upgraded manually to 10.5.1. I am now attempting to upgrade the environment to 10.6.1 however when I come to the upgrade ArcGIS Server section I am running into trouble. Following the instructions (see link below), I have upgraded the ArcGIS Server software on both machines in my site, however I do not see the 'Continue Server Upgrade' message when I log into server Manager,  as described in the instructions:

"Once authorized, ArcGIS Server Manager will automatically open. Click Continue Server Upgrade to complete the upgrade. You must use ArcGIS Server Manager on the local machine where you are running the upgrade to complete this step. You cannot Continue Server Upgrade through a Web Adaptor or load balancer".

http://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/get-started/windows/upgrade-arcgis-server.htm

To confirm, I have cleared my browser cache as instructed. I have also tried running the upgradeserver.bat -s command line equivalent but the message returned says that my site has already been upgraded. To a large extent the site is working as you would expect, however when I validate my federated server I see the below in the response:

Failed to start the Offline Packaging service in the hosting server with URL 'https://eaimportalpoc.esriuk.com/server/admin/services/Utilities/OfflinePackaging.GPServer'

I assume this a new service that has been added after 10.5.1 and hasn't been added to my site because it hasn't been through the 'Continue Server Upgrade' step. Is there anything I can do to force the upgrade?

17 Replies
GangWang
New Contributor III

Matt's workflow works for me. But does anybody know the root cause of the issue and the implication of the issue if "Continue Server Upgrade" gets skipped?

AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

This is what I would like to know as well.

MattBull1
Esri Contributor

I'm afraid I don't know what the underlying cause is.  I would suggest you raise a support call for further detail.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I would suggest that it's simply the fact that web adaptors are nothing more than load balances and are not part of ArcServer, as you can technically run ArcServer directly without a web adaptor.  What would be helpful going forward is maybe for the upgrade to handle un-registering web adaptor, and then upon post-upgrade completion, some notification to re-set up your web adaptor

MichaelSchoelen
Occasional Contributor III

I'd like to know as well. Our install "skipped" the Continue Upgrade step, and when running the .bat tool, it returned that the site had already been upgraded. Server manager shows 10.6.1, but the version.json file mentioned still shows 10.5.1. 

0 Kudos
GangWang
New Contributor III

Have you seen 'OfflinePackaging (GPServer)' and 'RasterUtilities (GPServer)' were created in the ArcGIS Server Utility folder? These are the two new Utility services in 10.6.1. 

AshleySeim
New Contributor II

I second this.  These tools were not present for use despite Server Admin showing 10.6.1.  We also were getting regular errors in the server logs and were unable to register new eGDB Data Stores, some existing Data Stores were not validating.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

One definitive cause of this is if the config-store is not accessible after the new setup is complete. For example:

1) Install ArcGIS Server at a previous version.

2) Create the site with the config-store and directories on a share

3) Run the setup to upgrade to a newer version

4) While it's upgrading, make the config-store and directories inaccessible, (unshare the path, shut off the machine, etc)

5) Once the new setup is complete and Server starts, make the config-store and directories accessible again.

You likely won't see the Upgrade option available at this point. We've made some changes for that logic at 10.7 and those steps can no longer reproduce the problem, so hopefully that will cover any other situation that may result in the API not displaying the Upgrade option.