ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 upgrade. Why am I not seeing the 'Continue Server Upgrade' option?

Jump to solution
08-10-2018 03:45 AM
MattBull1
Esri Contributor

I am attempting an upgrade of an HA ArcGIS Enterprise deployment hosted in AWS. The initial environment was built using the Esri provided CloudFormation template v10.4.1. A system diagram can be found here: http://arcgisstore1041.s3.amazonaws.com/5686/docs/ReadmeHAWebGIS.html

The environment was subsequently upgraded manually to 10.5.1. I am now attempting to upgrade the environment to 10.6.1 however when I come to the upgrade ArcGIS Server section I am running into trouble. Following the instructions (see link below), I have upgraded the ArcGIS Server software on both machines in my site, however I do not see the 'Continue Server Upgrade' message when I log into server Manager,  as described in the instructions:

"Once authorized, ArcGIS Server Manager will automatically open. Click Continue Server Upgrade to complete the upgrade. You must use ArcGIS Server Manager on the local machine where you are running the upgrade to complete this step. You cannot Continue Server Upgrade through a Web Adaptor or load balancer".

http://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/get-started/windows/upgrade-arcgis-server.htm

To confirm, I have cleared my browser cache as instructed. I have also tried running the upgradeserver.bat -s command line equivalent but the message returned says that my site has already been upgraded. To a large extent the site is working as you would expect, however when I validate my federated server I see the below in the response:

Failed to start the Offline Packaging service in the hosting server with URL 'https://eaimportalpoc.esriuk.com/server/admin/services/Utilities/OfflinePackaging.GPServer'

I assume this a new service that has been added after 10.5.1 and hasn't been added to my site because it hasn't been through the 'Continue Server Upgrade' step. Is there anything I can do to force the upgrade?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattBull1
Esri Contributor

Check the version of the config-store by going to C:\arcgisserver\config-store\version.json (or wherever the config-store is located).  If it is not 10.6.1, use this workflow to get back to the "continue server upgrade" screen:

1. Stop AGS service (in my case, on both machines in my HA site).

2. Rename the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\config-store-connection.xml to config-store-connection-upgrade.xml (in an HA site this only needs to be done on the machine you then use to access Manager in step 4.)

3. Start AGS service (in my case, on both machines in my HA site).

4. Go to https://localhost:6443/arcgis/manager and you should be prompted to continue server upgrade.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I have also upgraded to Enterprise 10.6.1 from 10.6 and am experiencing the same issue.  I also did not receive a prompt to continue the upgrade AND the OfflinePacking.GpServer services are not even present on both my federated and hosting sites.  So if anyone has a solution I would appreciate it.  As it stands now, ArcGIS Monitor is throwing up a constant error that the service is not available

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

I have experienced this 'issue' with upgrading ArcGIS Server from 10.5.1 -> 10.6 and 10.6 -> 10.6.1. Overall, I have not seen any issues with our ArcGIS Server's. However, during the upgrade process, we did need to:

• reindex portal multiple times
  • manually remove the web adaptor from each arcgis server config
  • repair ArcGIS Server after the install

The only service that we found to be missing was the ortho mapping service which seems to be a dependency for defining your raster analytics server.

0 Kudos
MattBull1
Esri Contributor

Check the version of the config-store by going to C:\arcgisserver\config-store\version.json (or wherever the config-store is located).  If it is not 10.6.1, use this workflow to get back to the "continue server upgrade" screen:

1. Stop AGS service (in my case, on both machines in my HA site).

2. Rename the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\config-store-connection.xml to config-store-connection-upgrade.xml (in an HA site this only needs to be done on the machine you then use to access Manager in step 4.)

3. Start AGS service (in my case, on both machines in my HA site).

4. Go to https://localhost:6443/arcgis/manager and you should be prompted to continue server upgrade.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Matt -  yes my version.json clearly reads 10.6.0 in my shared config location.  However, I'm really concerned about my webadaptors for both my hosting and federated sites.  I do not have HA.  I do have administrative access enabled on both my web adaptors.  I do not know, but I believe I must disable administrative access on each webadaptor in order for step 4 above to work. 

Otherwise, going to https://localhost:6443/arcgis/manager or https://machinename:6443/arcgis/manager fails.

I think that I would then go back to my webadptors and re-enable admin access.  

Can you confirm?

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1

Hi Matt - what are the implications of this issue? We have multiple 10.6.0 ArcGIS Server's (10.5.1 -> 10.6) that are listed as 10.6.0 per the ArcGIS Server admin page. However, the version.json file lists the version as 10.5.1 still. Is this just an isolated issue with this particular file? Or, are there compounding impacts across the software? From our perspective, ArcGIS Server 10.6 is behaving as we expected, though it is harder to define missing content in Server when compared to Portal. I wish to ascertain whether your workflow is required as soon as possible OR if it can wait till an appropriate outage.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Angus - I can confirm that Matt Bull‌ steps above do work as I performed them last night.  However, there are a few more additional things to do.  For us, we have a 2-server host site and 2-server federated site registered with our portal.  The easiest thing to do is:

1. From the server hosting your webadaptors, disable administrative access on your host webadaptor.  

2. Unregister your webadaptor from your host site via host admin page>system>webadaptors>unregister

3. Perform Matt's steps above for each machine in your host site.

4. Re-register your webadaptor for your host site using the DNS entry path, e.g https://DNSName.org.net:6443/webadaptorname and re-enable administrative access on the webadaptor.

5. Repeat for any other sites you have federated with portal.

Depending on your setup, you may want to go into your etc/hosts file first and include the ip and external name to bypass anything like F5.  We do not use any proxying, just F5, so I make that little change before I register the webapaptors, because I can then use the full external name of my webserver

MichaelSchoelen

Good point. I did have to reinstall my web adaptors after performing Matt's steps. This seems to have resolved the problem.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  I know I'll be keeping this post in mind when I go to 10.7

0 Kudos
AshleySeim
New Contributor II

This too helped me out with an upgrade.  I upgraded ArcGIS Enterprise on a single development server from 10.5.1 to 10.6.1 and did not get the Continue Upgrade option.  I opened a case with Esri and they did not go over this step.  That analyst led me to believe everything had been upgraded since Admin for Server showed it to be 10.6.1, and services were drawing, this was found to be false after upgrading our production server.  We have ArcGIS Monitor and found all kinds of error reporting including TNS Connect errors when attempting to register new Data Stores.  There were also errors that spoke about needing to restart the PublishingEx tool in Server Admin which I did but only prompted a new error, unable to find the OfflinePackaging geoprocessing tool.  The response about this service not being present when at 10.6.1, a reply to what is the harm when this option is not present, is what led me to this article.  I followed the steps above and things to be running much healthier now....although I agree we also had to re-register the Server Web Adaptor after going through the Continue Upgrade prompt.  In short, the Continue Upgrade is a must.

0 Kudos