ArcGIS 10.3 for Server Site Creation Failure and Service Startup Performance Patch

04-02-2015 12:36 PM
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. Has anyone seen noticeable benefits from this patch?

My setup is ArcGIS Server 10.3, not federated with Portal. I was hoping this would possibly fix the occasional ArcGIS Server issues expressed in errors messages like "Packaging Succeeded but Publishing failed...", or "The reduced study area polygon is too small for analysis", or ...  .

So far I cannot say that it improved anything. But then again, I don't understand why with my setup ArcGIS for Server would make any requests to ArcGIS.com in the first place.

Thanks,

Tobias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TobiasFimpel1

After installing this patch on my ArcGIS Server 10.3 I get this error when I publish from ArcMap 10.1. Publishing from ArcMap 10.2.2 seems to go fine.

Can anyone help confirm or explain this behavior?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

The site creation and performance patch wouldn't have anything to do with this error. It addresses slow service stop/start times and occasional site creation errors.

In general, it's always recommended to not mix versions. For your specific question, I would up the GIS Server logs to VERBOSE, reproduce the issue, and check to see what error you're receiving.

Some info I'd like to know include what kind of data are you publishing, is the data copied to the sever or is it referenced?

With regard to this question:

"But then again, I don't understand why with my setup ArcGIS for Server would make any requests to ArcGIS.com in the first place"

That's the bug that this patch addresses.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

Hi Randall,

...is the data copied to the sever or is it referenced?

In the case of the ArcMap 10.1 issue the data is stored in a geodatabase feature class referenced via a registered database connection to a 10.3 geodatabase within Oracle 11g. Data isn't copied to the server.

Aside from the ArcMap 10.1 issue I see some other unexpected behavior. Likely the root causes are network/config+directory storage issues (stored on a version of Isilon which we know is not ideal for ArcGIS Server) rather than the patch itself. Likely any issue that I'm seeing is specific to our environment. Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos