ArcEnterprise upgrade, 10.8 to 10.8.1 and read-only mode

Jump to solution
07-31-2020 11:02 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello - I am going to upgrade our distributed enterprise deployment  / environment to 10.8.1 this weekend. I thought that for the first time, I would try setting the site in read-only mode before I upgrade. 

I thought that the site being in read-only mode might make the update, particularly the post update, go faster.

Has anyone actually done this? Set their site to read only before an upgrade and if so is there anything in particular to watch out for?

Thanks-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello David, 

If Portal for ArcGIS is in ready only mode it is recommend to turn off 'read-only' mode before running an upgrade.

Upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

If your ArcGIS Server site is in 'read-only' mode the site will be set to editable when you upgrade. After all machines in your site have been successfully upgraded the site will remain in editable mode. You can switch back to ready only mode once the upgrade is complete.

Upgrade ArcGIS Server—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Thanks,

Thomas.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello David, 

If Portal for ArcGIS is in ready only mode it is recommend to turn off 'read-only' mode before running an upgrade.

Upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

If your ArcGIS Server site is in 'read-only' mode the site will be set to editable when you upgrade. After all machines in your site have been successfully upgraded the site will remain in editable mode. You can switch back to ready only mode once the upgrade is complete.

Upgrade ArcGIS Server—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Thanks,

Thomas.