Select to view content in your preferred language

After upgrading 11.1 arcgis server is not responding

05-02-2023 07:30 AM
AvinashDalvi_
New Contributor III

EC2 server where I upgrade its work there ArcGIS server but what I did I copy same machine and created another three machine everywhere facing issue. ArcGIS server is not responding. I tried restart and stop doesn't work. Also reauthorisation with new license 11.1 is completed successfully. 

With same upgrade process ArcGIS portal and Datastore is working fine. Only issue ArcGIS server. 

Error : 

"Hmmm… can't reach this page" 

Locahost refuse to connect

When I checked window-> services then ArcGIS server service is getting stopped continuously i tried to start bug again stopping. how to check what is issue ?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Check this thread...there seems to be a common theme here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/arcgis-web-adaptor-11-1-app-pool-freezes/t...

Testing out the IIS config to see....

0 Kudos
PDSGIS_Department
New Contributor II
It's worth a shot. Let us know if it works for you. We're taking a break from attempting to upgrade until next week.
0 Kudos
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

It definitely seems like that did the trick...3 days now without a freeze/crash.  All systems and services seem to be operating normal.

0 Kudos
IanIce1
New Contributor III

I wish I came across these threads earlier. Our organization just spun up Enterprise for the first time at 10.9.1. Everything was great! We had no users at the time (just test users). 11.0 came out and we figured we would upgrade since it was light weight with no real users. Everything was fine in 11.0. Well we went ahead and decided to upgrade to 11.1 since it was a "long term" release and had some new resources. We still had very few users on it. We upgraded and tested for 2 weeks before we deleted the VM snapshots. Shortly after, we started noticing that our data would freeze. At the same time, the ArcGIS Server Manager page wouldn't load, it would just sit there spinning and sometimes erroring out. It was a complete roller coaster. It could be down for seconds and sometimes minutes (22 minutes one time). this would happen only when we had maps and apps up with data. Portal/Portal admin and datastore software was fine and accessible, although when you clicked on a feature layer/map image to view it, there would be no data there and item details were inaccessible.

I still have a support ticket open. We've checked permissions across the 3 virtual machines/software, certificates, web adaptor pooling resources (which they had my increase some numbers), ruled out our DNS/aliasing as an issue. I had our IT guys throw more cores at it (testing) and it seemed to work for a week and came back just recently. I turned off all shared and dedicated instances on the server and still happened with only copied data.

Very frustrating to work with this new software. Unfortunately we have to downgrade to 11.0 and do not have snapshots anymore, just a portal backup file that was created during the upgrade process. Most of the time lost here is working with support to fix this issue and trying fixed ourselves. Very disappointed customer here.

0 Kudos
IanIce1
New Contributor III

Update,

The new "Reliability" patch that esri released yesterday did not work for us. I was almost ready to pull the plug and attempt a downgrade until I revisited the IIS/Web adaptor AppPools.

It turns out that support only had me update one of the Web Adaptor AppPools on both the enterprise and portal machine, the v4.0 one. After changing the parameters to the enterpriseAppPool as described in the link that Michael Snook shared and updating our .NET core software (someone suggested) we are finally looking stable. We went back to 4 cores and started stress testing it hard and it's not breaking anymore. fingers crossed.

Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos
GaiusK
by
New Contributor

@AvinashDalvi_ I have come across a similar issue, where the user upgraded to AE 11.1 and the GIS Server services intermittently goes down, some services do not appear on the Map Viewer and the Server Manager page is inaccessible with the Web Adaptor URL.

After researching, we could find a temporary workflow, from the IIS Manager reduce the recycle time to 5 mins in the "ArcGISWebAdapterAppPool" and increased the Queue Length of application pool from 1000 to 65535.

Further research on this same, we found that it is a BUG-000158629 and installing the ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) 11.1 Reliability Patch resolve this issue.

Please let me know if this solution was helpful to you.

0 Kudos