Adress Locator - German Adresses - Problem with House Number Field

Jump to solution
10-27-2015 06:24 AM
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Dear Community,

i have a feature layer where each point represents the centre of a building (house coordinates). Within the attribute table i have further information regarding the exact adress of each point (example below):

OIDRechtswertHochwertStrasse (Street)Hausnummer (House Number)Zusatz (Extra)Ort (City)Postleitzahl (Postal Code)
XYXYXYWeinbergweg1aBerlinxxxxxxx

Based on this dataset i want to create (or lets say i tried to create) an adress locator within ArcCatalog using the house coordinate layer as reference and i want to publish it later as my own geocoding service within AGO.

Problem:

Unfortunately, there is no adress locator style which is able to recognize the field: House Number. Consequentely i am able to locate the City, Postal Code and Street but the Adress matches with the wrong house number. If i try to use the pre-defined Adress Locator Style : "Single House" the geocoding fails at all, even if i define the House Number field as required.

Does anyone know if there is an pre-defined adress locator for germany? The adress information i have are provided from a governmental institution, so i don´t want to re-organiz these data.

I also do not want to add any extra fields or using an online geocoding service. I am using ArcMap 10.2.2.

Maybe someone can help me. I have the feeling ESRI does not want ppl within Germany to use there own geolocation service because the problem seems to be an issue for many years now.

Thanks in advice,

Thomas

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Manuela,

until now i did not find any solution to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
ManuelaEhrhardt
New Contributor II

Hello Thomas,

lately I talked to someone I am in contact with from esri in Leipzig and told him about the problem that a german locator style is missing. He told me that the german style is existing and available "for free" ... but you only get it in connection with a one day consulting that costs. I am now trying to convince him that I won't need any consulting and am willing to get the locator style anyway. All in all it's a very stupid approach.

ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Manuela,

did you have any sucess with the ESRI contact? Did you manage to get the locator style without any consulting or cost? I do not know why they host tuturials and "How to Geocode" - webpages in german language, if you can not even use the Adress Locator Styles included in the standard ArcGIS Software package. I also do not understand why you need to pay for a one day consulting course on the one hand if the US Locator Styles on the other hands are available for free. 

Anyway, I found a way to geocode adresses (from tables) - the question i asked myself now - why am i still using ArcGIS for postprocessing the geocoded adresses (creating shape files, Service layers etc.). I think QGIS does the Job within the Package..... In this case i do not see the advantage of using ArcGIS anymore.....

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

I´ve followed your proposed workflow about geocoding German addresses but without any success. After creating the US - Single House Address Locator (using the FC of my customer´s addresses as reference dataset (primary table)) and using the full address (hsnr + streetname) as “Street or Intersection” I got no matches in the geocoder as result. Maybe this is because of the wrong reference dataset in the created Address Locator? Maybe it should be always a street layer (I have just the addresses of the customers)? If so, do you know some open source street datasets including complete addresses? ArcGIS Online offers some street layers for Germany but these are mostly rasters or FC/shp without addresses.

I also don´t understand why I cannot simply use the Esri Word Geocoder Address Locator for geocoding my attribute table cause if I put a single address from my FC (no matter in which order the hsnr and the streetname are) I always got 100% match so it should theoretically work to geocode the whole dataset…

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin:

Can you show an example of the table you are not able to geocode with the Esri World Geocoder? Perhaps a screen shot of a single row and all of the fields in it.

-Shana

0 Kudos
MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

Hello Shana,

here the screenshot with some example data:

addresses_exampletable

Martin 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin,

Are you using Voll, Plz, and Ort fields as the input fields when geocoding? Are you able to show the table field mapping in the geocoding tool you are using so that I can see what fields are being used?

0 Kudos
MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

Yes.

Using ArcGIS World Geocoding Service as Address Locator:

Result: 

ERROR 002105 (no geocoding privilege)  (I don´t have an ArcGIS Online for Organizational account and I don´t wanna create an ArcGIS Online Organizational trial account)

ERROR 000010 : Geocode addresses failed

Trying create the Single House Address Locator:

primary table = table with addresses to geocode 

Result:

ERROR 000042 : Failed to create the address locator.

according to the description above:

Single House Address Locator = roadmap??? 

Street Locator Style ???

= composite Address Locator

I´m not using the Enterprise version but just the Advanced licence and maybe that´s the issue. 

0 Kudos