Add GDB to Portal Without Creating a Service in Hosted Server

04-22-2021 08:19 AM
StevenCross
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a Collector App within Portal 10.8.1. I can't have a hosted feature layer or map service that uses my hosted server as my ArcGIS Server is internal and the VIP does not have outside internet access on it.

When I tried uploading my FGDB to Portal and having it be a Hosted Feature Layer it automatically created a service within ArcGIS Server.

Is there a way to add a zipped FGDB into Portal with edit features without a service being created within my hosted server?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Yes.  Compress FGDB.  Zip up with external zip utility.  I use 7Zip.  Go to your Portal content.  Uncheck "Publish this..."

ToddMetzler_0-1619105237950.png

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Oh.  No.  you can't edit the zipped FGDB following the procedure I outlined.  In mobile apps, the data writer must do so to a "pass through" EGDB with correct permission settings or a hosted feature layer (aka EGDB hosting in ArcGIS Data store.

0 Kudos
StevenCross
New Contributor III

Hey Todd,

Yes that is my dilemma. One I publish the GDB in Portal it creates a service within ArcGIS Server and that is not what I want.

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

All published layers (hosted or map services) live within the Hosting Server.  The layer being "Hosted" only means that it's self contained with the Enterprise system as a whole.  Portal is the front-end component of Enterprise and has no data storing capabilities by itself, like you are asking about.

0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg
Occasional Contributor II

What you need is local editing without a service.

I don't know if it's possible with Collector.

There is mobile map package:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-mobile-map-package.ht...

I'm not sure it will work with Collector.

You can publish your content to ArcGIS Online and use the Collector with it.

0 Kudos