Access to my.esri for Enterprise users (by not using separate ArcGIS Online-accounts)

02-28-2022 02:04 AM
MarcusAndersson
New Contributor III

Hi!

Is there a way to connect (some of) our Enterprise/Portal users to my.esri to gain access to certain features like the ability to report tickets, use the educational parts, download software updates etc. without using separate AGOL-accounts?

Our Enterprise-login is setup using SAML (AzureAD, SSO) and it would be highly beneficial if we instead of us/the users having to manage completely separate AGOL-accounts with separate passwords could use already existing accounts.

Am I thinking  backwards, or is there a way of doing this that I've not yet found..?

BR,
Marcus Andersson

Tags (3)
8 Replies
RBMartinez
New Contributor II
You'll have to invite the same AGOL users you wish to add from your organization to my.Esri by using their enterprise email accounts and choose the permissions you want for them such as "ability to report tickets, use the educational parts, download software updates etc."
MarcusAndersson
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that way of doing it I get. Maybe should have clarified but then those accounts are not connected to our Enterprise/AD (and will then not update passwords automatically etc.). It "looks" as it's the same user with the same email-adress  but this is not the solution I'm after. I'm looking to use the AD-connected account already present in Portal in AGOL, so the other way around in a way, to only have one account to manage. Otherwise the AGOL-account will fall out of "sync" when the user changes password in the AD, and then not changes in AGOL 🙂

BR,
Marcus

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Perhaps some else has found a way around this, however, all I can do is confirm that it doesn't seem possible to do this.

Access to the Esri training site is tied to accounts visible to ArcGIS Online, whether they are built-in or enterprise accounts.

ArcGIS Online provides a setting for accounts -- both built-in and enterprise -- called "Esri Access", which can be set to enable/disable access to training and other content. Enterprise, however, does not offer that same setting, as its accounts -- built-in or enterprise -- are not tied ArcGIS Online.

So at the moment, it appears the only option is to setup ArcGIS Online to use the same enterprise scheme, and enable Esri Access for those accounts in Online. 

MarcusAndersson
New Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply, although it was somewhat depressing 😕

I thought about ”Accept as Solution”  but I’ll let this hang for a while longer to see if someone else has found an ”actual” solution to the situation. But thanks for your input!

BR,

Marcus

0 Kudos
KikSiops
New Contributor III

Hi Marcus,

I have the same query/concern, if we can configure SSO login to MyESRI. Wondering if you have an update on your end?  

Thanks in advanced!

MarcusAndersson
New Contributor III

Hi!

Sorry but no, I couldn’t find a way to solve this. Spoke to ESRI but I’m not sure they even understand. So we’ll have to live with this ”ugly” solution until further notice I guess..

Best regards,

Marcus

0 Kudos
KikSiops
New Contributor III

Thanks @MarcusAndersson , I logged a ticket and the informed me that My Esri does not currently support SSO. This is something that the My Esri team is considering as an enhancement to the site later down the road. Maybe Q4 next year.

jmcewen_ddg
New Contributor III

I just posted a response to a similar thread here that's been around since the good ol' days before AGO licensing went bananas: https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-training-questions/self-paced-e-learning-access-using-portal-logi.... Gonna ask our account rep if we can get a bucket of AGO named Viewer users that we can also integrate with SSO. Feels like the least Esri could do for an EA customer.