10.3.1 client to 10.3.1 geodatabase to 10.4 server

04-28-2016 05:36 AM
AdamRoestenburg
New Contributor II

Hi, I have been reading the knowledge articles on mixed release deployments that speak to newer clients connected to older geodatabase. My question involves the inverse of this, older clients (specifically 10.3.1) connecting to a geodatabase at the same release, connecting to a newer 10.4 AGS / Portal.

Any info or knowledge articles you could suggest would be great.

Regards

Adam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Adam,

In general, the geodatabase is the last in the stack to be updated because clients are backward compatible but may not be forward compatible. This isn't quite the same as upgrading the RDBMS - I'm speaking specifically to the geodatabase version.

That said, keep in mind that SQL Server 2008 in particular is no longer supported at 10.4. This can be addressed by upgrading the SQL server native client or the SQL Server rdbms itself. Note that while 10.4 clients will be able to connect to a geodatabase on SQL 2008, the geodatabase cannot be subsequently upgraded and new geodatabases cannot be created from those 10.4 clients.

This KB speaks specifically to this issue:

Problem:  After upgrading to ArcGIS 10.4 for Server, existing services that use

data in geodatabases in SQL Server no longer work

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/46427

0 Kudos
KarynTareen
New Contributor III

That link seems broken to the tech arcticle.  Have another reference?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, a lot of links were broken when the support site was recently updated. I'm working with the content team at Esri to find out where this doc went. I'll follow up...

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Karyn Tareen,

The DOC team confirmed that there were issues migrating this document and are working on addressing this. Meanwhile, I've pulled the raw content from our KB management system and have posted the details below. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Problem:
After upgrading to ArcGIS 10.4 for Server, existing services that use data in geodatabases in SQL Server no longer work

Description

After upgrading ArcGIS for Server to version 10.4, services that consume data in geodatabases in SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 no longer function.

ArcGIS Server logs show messages indicating "Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not supported."

Cause

Beginning with ArcGIS 10.4, SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 are no longer supported.

Solution

Upgrade to SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014, which are supported at ArcGIS 10.4

Customers who must continue to have access to their SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 geodatabases while planning their upgrade to SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014, can upgrade the SQL Server client on the ArcGIS for Server machine to SQL Server 2012 Native Client or Microsoft ODBC Driver 11, and restart the ArcGIS Server Windows service.

** If a customer has moved to ArcGIS 10.4, but has connections to older geodatabases in SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2, Esri Support will attempt to reproduce the issue with SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. If the issue cannot be reproduced on a supported version of SQL Server, the customer will be asked to update their version of SQL Server. Also, customers who move to ArcGIS 10.4 but are still using SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 will not be able to create a new geodatabase until they upgrade SQL Server to a supported release.

Related Information:

Manage connections in SQL Server

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos