10.1 Server manager - it takes 5 minutes to delete a service

03-25-2013 01:04 PM
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

I am trying to delete map services using the ArcGIS Server Manager - it is taking over 5 minutes to delete each service.  At this rate, it will take me all day!  They data was not copied to the server as it resides in a SQL database that is registered in the data store.  I cannot fathom why it is taking soooo long to delete a service!

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thank you,

Luci
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II
Are you dealing with an abnormally large number of services or instances per service?  I've seen this have an impact on service manipulation performance.

If the ArcGIS Server Manager web site is not deleting the services fast enough then you could always try deleting them through Arc Desktop (which might be marginally faster), or even resort to manually removing the service definitions from the file system.  Specifically, in the config-store and directories/arcgissystem/arcgisinput sub-folders beneath the arcgisserver directory.
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Hey,

We have over 60 services, but I would not consider that alot until now that we are attempting to get 10.1 to work.  We have the same amount in 10.0 and we do not have the problems that we are experiencing with 10.1

I am deleting the services because I was advised to try a different approach.  I am combining about 55 services into 1 service to see if that speeds things up. 

I tried to delete the service using arc catalog and that was just as slow.  I will attempt to delete them manually!

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Ok, I tried just the one service with all of my data in it and it ran just as slow.  So, I uninstalled everything and started over.  Everything seems to be running faster.  The only problem I have now is that a couple of my map services are cross-linking data and I made another post for that subject.

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I had a similar experience with deleting and refreshing services taking over 5 minutes each. This occured when i had the config-store and directories on a shared network folder. I had about 70+ services and the more services i published, the longer it took to delete/restart. i wanted to have a multi-gis server site for redundancy, but that was impossible with that issue. So i uninstalled arcgis server and reinstalled using a single site setup- everything on the local machine. Now it is extremely fast, but kinda defeated the purpose of wanting a multi-machine setup. Sorry i dont have better news..
0 Kudos
JasonTipton

I was going to say the same thing. Network Storage. What kind of network storage did you have? Was it dedicated or shared, and how many people were sharing it? Was it new or old hardware?

I've seen HUGE differences between our config files sitting on the same network storage as 1,000's of people sharing vs local. But, moving to another controller that was faster, newer, and had less traffic, I did not see the degradation.

If you have some sort of NAS device dedicated to applications, you shouldn't really see much of a problem using shared storage.