10.1 Pre-Release Web Adaptor Install Issue

05-16-2012 08:57 AM
KirkHarstead
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have just installed ArcGIS Server with no issues. I then installed ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) with no issues. After the install of that I went to the "The ArcGIS Web Adaptor (GUI) configuration page connects your web server to your GIS server".

I put in the basic information as requested. If I sign in as the "GIS Web Server Account" I get te error "Failed to register your Web Adaptor with GIS Server." If I sign in as the "Primary Site Administrator Account" I get the error "Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\arcgisdpd29\WebAdaptor.config' is denied."

I believe that I have successfully granted both of those accounts full permission to "'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\arcgisdpd29".

When I go to this GUI to try and set things up I always have the "Status: There are currently no GIS server machines registered to your Web Adaptor"

also ...

If I login via "ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory" (http://dpd-29:6080/arcgis/admin/login) and naviagte "Home > system > webadaptors > DPD-29 " it looks like I have a registered web adaptor:

Web Adaptor:
Web Adaptor Properties

Name: DPD-29   
Machine name: DPD-29   
Machine IP: 192.168.1.29 
Supported Operations: unregister 
Supported Interfaces: REST 

This install is on MS Server 2008 / IIS and it previously had Server 10 on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk
0 Kudos
9 Replies
KirkHarstead
New Contributor III
Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Hubo
by
New Contributor II
Any useful information?
0 Kudos
IanDunn
New Contributor
I too have run into this problem.  Any ideas yet?

Thanks,
Ian
0 Kudos
DerekWeatherbe
Esri Contributor
Hello,

When the IIS Web Adaptor runs, it creates a new application pool in IIS called ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool. The identity of this application pool needs permissions to the WebAdaptor.config file that is being referenced in the error message.

Could you please try the following:

1) Navigate to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\arcgis\ or the location referenced in the error message.

2) Right click the WebAdaptor.config file and choose Properties.

3) Click the Security tab.

4) Check whether the setup program has given the local user IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool permissions to write to this file.

If it is not listed, we need to add it.

5) Click the Edit button.

6) Click Add.

7) Click the Locations button and select the name of the local machine.

😎 In the box at the bottom, enter 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool' without the single quotes and click 'Check Names'.

9) Give 'Full Control' permissions to ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool.

10) Click Apply and OK to all dialogs to close them.

Please open the Web Adaptor configuration page again and try registering your GIS Server machine.

Thank you

Derek
0 Kudos
ProgramOffice
New Contributor
I have an issue with this as well. I've followed your steps but when I click edit and try to add 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool'  I get an error saying "The following object is not from a domain listed in the select location dialog box, and is therefore not valid: 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool'. I've successfully created services and can see them locally. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
harleypowers_parks
New Contributor III
I have an issue with this as well. I've followed your steps but when I click edit and try to add 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool'  I get an error saying "The following object is not from a domain listed in the select location dialog box, and is therefore not valid: 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool'. I've successfully created services and can see them locally. Any suggestions?

For this to work, ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool Identity must be "ApplicationPoolIdentity" then the IIS APPPOOL\... will show up... your not in the domain error... be sure to select your location is on the computer you are installing on when you are changing the file property security settings.
0 Kudos
HenryMoore
New Contributor II
Still no luck. In IIS 6.0 under the Application Pools folder I have ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool and adecaweb is my named webadaptor instance in this virtual directory. Under the security tab I tried to add 'IIS APPPOOL\ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool' and 'IIS APPPOOL\adeca web' and still get "object not from a domain listed. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\adecaweb is on the Production Server where I have ArcGIS for Server installed. I'm still missing something.
0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Henry,

Follow the instructions for Server 2003 in this Knowledge Base article:

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40406

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos
PatrickWild3
New Contributor III
For this to work, ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool Identity must be "ApplicationPoolIdentity" then the IIS APPPOOL\... will show up... your not in the domain error... be sure to select your location is on the computer you are installing on when you are changing the file property security settings.

Can you give any insight to the difference between the ApplicationPoolIdentity and NetworkService Identity? My instal seems to have defaulted to NetworkService and I can't seem to find any docs relating to the best practices for this config.

Thanks
PW
0 Kudos