web adaptor not configuring portal

12-14-2016 05:47 AM
RandyHansford
New Contributor II

I have upgraded my arcgis server and portal from 10.3 to 10.4.1, when installing the web adaptor, my arcgis server configures with no problem, but when i go to configure my portal i get the following error "Unable to configure Portal with the Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal machine is running and that the account specified has administrative privileges to the Portal." am i doing something wrong? its been so long since i have done the initial install i can't quite remember if there is something i did differently

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What page do you see when you browse to https://<portal.domain.com>:7443 ? If the Portal page is not loading, you might need to recreate the SSL certificate and bind it with HTTPS port.

Think Location
RandyHansford
New Contributor II

I get taken to the Create or Join a Portal page, and if i go to Join Existing Portal, and enter all my information i get a box that pops up 

then the box never goes away

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Occasional Contributor III

If you are upgrading, you do not want to join an existing portal, you want to create a new portal. Joining an existing portal is for High Availability.

KirkChesla
New Contributor III

Jayanta,

We are getting an error trying to register Portal web adaptor in RHEL 7 - with apache and tomcat.  SSL certs are installed and configured with both.  We have a web adaptor for arcgis that went through just fine to its remote AGS server.  Then we installed another web adaptor called portal and we get the follow error when we try to configure the portal on a remote server.

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Occasional Contributor III

Make sure you're using the initial administrator account, not one through your company security if you're using ADFS/SAML/WA.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Randy, not sure if you resolved this already or not, but in my testing of 10.5 pre-release last week I was running into a problem with creating my Portal web addaptor.  It ended up that Portal was seeing a web adaptor from a previous attempt or was somehow "corrupt".  The folder wasn't in my IIS and the errors I was getting didn't make a lot of sense.

What tech support walked me thru is going into the administration page of Portal so I could delete this phantom install.  Once I did that it worked.  I'm in the process of uninstalling the pre-release so I can install the final, so I can't look at the exact place, but I had to log in to    https://<portalmachine>:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/   

Just like ArcGIS Server's admin, caution should be used when using this direct admin site (vs the Manager GUI) since it can also break your install .  If you think this might help and don't feel comfortable, you may want to contact tech support to walk you thru it.

This might not help, but just in case, thought I would pass it along.

BrentFoster
New Contributor II

This is the issue I was having upgrading our test Portal to v10.5.1, i had to go in and manually delete the phantom web adaptor before i could register the new one. 

Home - System - Web Adaptors - Choose your phantom web adaptor - unregister