web adaptor install in non-default web site

04-02-2018 04:38 PM
GarethWalters3
New Contributor III

Hi,

Anybody know if I can install the two web adaptors for a single machine deployment to a non default website on IIS?

If so what do you need to do to set up a new web site to do this?

Look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gareth,

Yes, this is possible.  When you are installing the web adaptor it will pick up all of your web sites on the current server.  You can choose which web site to install the web adaptor on.  See step 3 in the following help document:

Install ArcGIS Web Adaptor—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

GarethWalters3
New Contributor III

Thanks Jake,

I did get to that point, however to my second point, do you know the properties I need to provide to create a new website in IIS? As you would be aware the default web site is linked to a virtual directory.

Can I add a folder that is empty e.g. c:\folderForIIS just so I can create a site, or do I need atleast an index.html?

I'm not an IIS expert, so extra information would be great.

Cheers,

Gareth

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, an empty folder will work just fine.  That is all you will need.

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

OK - similar issue here - I used the Enterprise Builder wizard and it set up both Portal and Server Web Adaptor using the "default" IIS site, I didn't get the options you do when you set the Web Adaptor up on its own - I had already started using  the default site for my internal JS mapping site.

Ideally I want the Web Adaptors to be on their own IIS site, I thought I could just rename the IIS site it had used (I had renamed it to be "emap" the name of our internal system) - the I could move my mapping site to another IIS site - not too big an issue as we are still in dev for this server.

Yet renaming the IIS site broke the adaptors - somewhere it must store the IIS site name.  Any ideas?

Cheers

ACM

0 Kudos
santiagoramos
New Contributor II

Hi @AdrianMarsden,

I have run into this issue within my deployment, we created a new site (not the Default Site) to host the Web Adaptors in IIS and tried to configure them with no success, we either get a problem to access to portal or the federation fails to validate. I was wondering if you ever were able to solve the problem, and if you could please indicate what steps you followed to do it?

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Santiago

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

I must have sorted it, but I honestly can't recall how - I've just taken a look at the webAdapter.config files and cannot see anything obvious.  Sorry

0 Kudos
santiagoramos
New Contributor II

Thank you for your fast response! I will take a look on it...

Best,

Santiago

0 Kudos