Using survey123.arcgis.com with Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1

09-14-2017 04:55 AM
FlorinMihai
New Contributor

Hello,

Does anyone know how to acces/use/configured survey123.arcgis.com to work with Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1, based on the tehnical article below I don't need to configure my portal to acces survey123.arcgis.com if I have the 10.5.1 version.

How To: Configure Portal for ArcGIS to work with survey123.arcgis.com 

Thanks.

14 Replies
DevonPiernot
Esri Contributor

Don,

Portal can be configured to work with a reverse proxy server, but this would effectively make the Portal accessible to the internet through that public URL, so that is something to keep in mind when sharing content. 

This link details how to configure your Portal with a reverse proxy: Configure your portal to use a reverse proxy server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 
Pay special attention to the WebContextURL. This important setting lets Portal know that its public URL is different than its internal URL. The portal's WebContextURL property helps it construct the correct URLs on all resources it sends to the end user.

DonKang
New Contributor III

Devon,

Thank you very much for the info.

I should have checked the documentation more carefully.

After I submitted my posting, I've gone through the steps you've described above and it worked. 
I was able to add survey123.com to App Launcher. And I am able to navigate to survey123.com with my portal url initialized. 

Now, when I try to create a survey using "Survey Connect", it creates feature service on portal but it doesn't allow me to publish the form. And I am getting "Error 400".

Do you know what this error referring to?

Can you tell me what other steps I need to take so my survey 123 mobile app can access my portal resource?

Do I still need to setup portal with reverse proxy or are there ways without having to setup reverse proxy?

thanks for your time

Don Kang

0 Kudos
DevonPiernot
Esri Contributor

Don,

That is a generic error, so without more context I can't say why you are seeing it. It could be an issue with the Portal setup or with the survey form itself. I would encourage you to contact Esri technical support and work through a troubleshooting process.

The only way your mobile device will be able to access your Portal is if your device is on the same network as the Portal. You could use a VPN on the mobile device to access the network.

DonKang
New Contributor III

Devon

thanks again for your help.

Could setting up Reverse Proxy for the portal allow mobile device (Survey123 app) to access the portal?
Or is VPN only option?

thanks

Don

0 Kudos
DevonPiernot
Esri Contributor

The reverse proxy would create a public Portal URL, so in that case you wouldn't need the VPN.