The index service seems to be unavaliable. Please check the index service.

04-29-2019 07:41 AM
vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

When i try to add an item or delete an item , i am getting the error "

The index service seems to be unavaliable. Please check the index service." In ArcGIS Portal 10.7 ". 

Please suggest the solution 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Szu_NyiapTang1
New Contributor II

You may try the following steps to rebuild the index.

1. Stop Portal for ArcGIS Service.

2. Navigate to C:\arcgisportal\index\nodes\0\indices (depending on your portal folder)

3. Delete all the folders in indices

4. Navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\template\empty_index.zip (depends on your installation folder)

5. Extract the folders into C:\arcgisportal\index\nodes\0\indices

6. Start Portal for ArcGIS.

7. Navigate to https://<fqdn>/<webadaptorname>/portaladmin/system/indexer/reindex

8. Perform a full reindex.

I followed the steps above to resolve mine. Hope it helps.

ZeeshanKhan1
New Contributor III

While working in Portal 11.2, I didn't see the empty_index.zip file inside the templates. Has anything changed?

0 Kudos
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

For ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 product: portal

Error: The index service seems to be unavailable. Please check the index service

The Index Service has a safety feature that puts your index in read only mode if you have less then 10% disk space left.

Errors include can't add users cant change password cant delete users etc.

Resolution

Please check the log file to confirm that this is your problem.

C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Portal/framework/runtime/ds/usr/logs/[Your Server Name]/elasticlog

It this is the problem make more space on the hard drive.

I have a call logged with Esri.inc to find out if we can change the % to a fixed size because if you use a 1Tb disk then you need 100GB of free space all times.

Hope this helps 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

That check is imposed by the third party component we use for the index. We've removed the disk space check at 10.7.1. At 10.7, there are ways to turn it off as well, but work through Support for that information.

0 Kudos
AhmadAwada1
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

I am experiencing the index service not available issue after storage out of space (10.7). Note that adding extra space (200GB) again did not solve the problem!

May be the index is still in the read-only mode being I am unable to share or delete an item. The index status is mismatching also.  I tried to edit somewhere in elasticsearch.yml but no place talking about threshold or enable read/write mode.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The indices don't automatically turn themselves to read/write if you clear up disk space. Either rebuild it using the steps in the first comment or reach out to Tech Support so you can walk through the steps with them.

0 Kudos
MarGIS
by
New Contributor III

@JonathanQuinnI am wondering if this file still exist in ArcGIS Enterprise version 11 as I could not see it in multiple environments and if so I guess that Esri made an update to indexing mechanism. I will appreciate if you provide information about this.

vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

I Uninstalled the portal and install it again

HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

I had another broken index in 10.7.1, Szu Nyiap Tang steps resolved it. A easy way to see if the index is broken is if you Reindex does the status go to 0 if not the index is probably broken.

0 Kudos