Symbol Rotation issue

03-29-2014 11:13 PM
BrianBorg1
New Contributor II
I have a common MXD being accessed from two machines, one with arcMap basic and the other with ArcMap advanced. The advanced rotation(arithmetic) is not working on the basic installation whilst working perfectly on the advanced. Is there an issue with the basic module or is this normal? The rotation is currently being set on an angle field within the same feature class.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
symbol rotation based on a field is supported in the basic license. I am uncertain what you mean by "arithmetic" - are you calculating the rotation? This may be the issue.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Symbol rotation is not available in the Basic edition of ArcGIS for Desktop.  Take a look at this matrix and search for "Rotate Feature Symbols Interactively or by a Specific Angle".  You'll find this topic listed under the Interactive Symbol Editing section.  It appears the Standard and Advanced editions contain this functionality, but not the Basic edition.  This is the reason why the symbols rotate without issue when you open the MXD using the Advanced installation of ArcGIS for Desktop but not with the Basic installation.  Lastly, "Arithmetic" is referring to the Arithmetic Rotation Style found under the Rotate Points by Angle in this field section, which specifies an orientation and a clockwise/counterclockwise direction.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Symbol rotation is not available in the Basic edition of ArcGIS for Desktop.  Take a look at this matrix and search for "Rotate Feature Symbols Interactively or by a Specific Angle".  You'll find this topic listed under the Interactive Symbol Editing section.  It appears the Standard and Advanced editions contain this functionality, but not the Basic edition.

Now ESRI has released Desktop Advanced in an affordable manner for non-commercial / non-profit, private use through the ArcGIS for Home Use program, you really have to wonder if there is still any sense in maintaining the crippled "Basic" license level with crucial tools non-functional... I think ESRI would do good to skip the Basic license level, and only keep the Standard / Advanced license level difference.
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Symbol rotation IS indeed available in the Basic level license, regardless of the functionality matrix. Basic license is what I am working with, and I have the ability to rotate symbols based on a field. Something else is impacting the rotation of your data.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have many users with the basic license that see the rotations set up on their layers.  It responds to edits whether done with an Advanced license or a Basic license.  It works with the Arithmetic set up.

A note for those not familiar with rotation options.  Geographic rotation establishes due north as angle 0 and degrees above 0 cause a clockwise rotation so that due east is 90, due south is 180 and due west is 270.  It's rules are designed to operate like a clock.  An Arithmetic rotation follows Cartesian graphing rules and is what mathematicians use.  It establishes the X axis in the positive direction (X = +, Y = 0) or due east in compass directions as 0 and degrees above 0 cause a counterclockwise rotation.  In an arithmetic system due north is 90 degrees (X = 0, Y = +), due west is 180 degrees (X = -, Y = 0), and due south is 270 degrees (X = 0, Y = -).
0 Kudos
BrianBorg1
New Contributor II
Thanks for the feedback. At his stage I would rule out that this is a Arcgis basic issue as I have tested another feature class and rotation is working perfectly. I will try importing this feature class in the 10.2 version as this class was originally created in 10.0 and see if this will solve this issue.
0 Kudos