SIMPLE QUESTION! Opening ArcGIS Pro from Portal Web browser instead of Arc Map

Jump to solution
02-03-2021 11:10 AM
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

I have a customer who is using the web portal button to view his map on desktop. He wants to view the data on his Arc Pro, but portal opens Arc Map instead. Is there a way to set ArcPro to default.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the screenshot. It seems like you are using a version of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.x, is that correct? I took a look at the Item Details documentation page for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.x and 10.7.x, and believe I have found the answer.

In 10.6.x,  we get " For example, maps open in Map Viewer, scenes open in Scene Viewer, and layer packages open in ArcGIS Desktop."

In 10.7.x however, we get "For example, maps open in Map Viewer, scenes open in Scene Viewer, and layer packages open in ArcGIS Pro."

Indeed, when I try this out in 10.7.x, I see that I am given the option to open a feature layer in ArcGIS Pro, but not in 10.6.x. So it seems that this was a feature that was added alongside the 10.7.x of ArcGIS Enterprise.

Best,

Calvin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Harold,

You can view maps, services, and more through the Portal section of the Content pane in ArcGIS Pro.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/available-online-resources.htm

Does this sound like what you are after?

-Calvin

0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Mr. Calvin Lietz,

My question is in regards to opening the desktop arcPro software via the button displayed in the attachment.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Harold,

Can you please provide a screenshot of where you see this button displayed? I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you are asking about.

Thanks,

Calvin

0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

The following shows the button to open the data in desktop. My customer is trying to open this is arcPro, but it reverts to Arc 10.8x. How do I specify that button to open arcPro?

PortalOpening Desktop.png

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the screenshot. It seems like you are using a version of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.x, is that correct? I took a look at the Item Details documentation page for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.x and 10.7.x, and believe I have found the answer.

In 10.6.x,  we get " For example, maps open in Map Viewer, scenes open in Scene Viewer, and layer packages open in ArcGIS Desktop."

In 10.7.x however, we get "For example, maps open in Map Viewer, scenes open in Scene Viewer, and layer packages open in ArcGIS Pro."

Indeed, when I try this out in 10.7.x, I see that I am given the option to open a feature layer in ArcGIS Pro, but not in 10.6.x. So it seems that this was a feature that was added alongside the 10.7.x of ArcGIS Enterprise.

Best,

Calvin

0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

The portal I am running is 10.6.1. So the version is the reason? Is there any way to change  which software opens layers manually?

0 Kudos