Set The Data Frame Reference Scale Based On Driven Pages (DDP) Map Scale

07-12-2012 12:59 PM
GeneDixon
New Contributor II
All,
I am creating a map book of the United States using DDP with ArcGIS 10.0.

I am using a layer of the extents of each state as the DDP index. From the layer, I am using the layer attribute StateName as the Name Field and the Sort Field when I create the DDP. I also have a scale field that I populated using a script I found on the forum written by Marcin Gasior that populated that field for me. (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/57306-Adding-and-auto-extracting-scale-information?highlight=data+d...) So naturally, there is a different scale for all 50 states.

In the map, I have 10 different layers and I am using representations for the symbology. Of those layers, several of them are point layers. If you recall, when you create a representation, it requires a reference scale, set in the data frame properties. When I created the representations, for the representations reference scale, I used a mid-range scale between all of the scales that were calculated for the state extents.

My problem is this: when I click on the Next Page or Previous Page command on the DDP toolbar, the map moves to appropriate states scale, but the size of the point markers and the text re-size to match the new map scale. So for 49 of the 50 maps, the reference scale is off and the text and the representations are either to big or to small for the map.

I thought one way to do it would be to find a way were attribute Scale, from my reference layer, would auto-magically be filled into the reference scale of the data frame properties, as I click on the Next Page or Previous Page command on the DDP toolbar.

So what I am looking for is a way to insure that the representations are appropriate for the scale of each map. So when the map moves from Arkansas to California the representation markers are sized appropriately to match the scale extent of the map.

Thanks in advance for all of your considerations!

Gene
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BillLotz
Occasional Contributor II
Hello, did you find a work-around to this?
0 Kudos