RGB values in attribute table as point symbols

08-12-2011 07:51 AM
MikeLackner
New Contributor
Hi,

Is there a way to symbolize points in a point shp file based on their RGB values? The RGB values are stored in the attribute table as separate fields.

I'm using ArcGIS 10.

Thanks,

Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
In the layer properties, you can st the symbology to be "unique values, many fields."  Each combination of the fields you choose (up to 3) can be assigned a different symbol.
0 Kudos
MikeLackner
New Contributor
I tried that actually but it still doesn't let you color each point with the RGB value combination for each point. All you can do is assigning a different symbol for each combination loaded from the available color palettes. Of course I could edit each symbol for all the combination, but that would take lots of time. I was wondering if you could assign the RGB values automatically. It's easy to do in raster but not for point files it seems.

In the layer properties, you can st the symbology to be "unique values, many fields."  Each combination of the fields you choose (up to 3) can be assigned a different symbol.
0 Kudos
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
I'm not a python script writer, but maybe there is a way to assign the RGB symbology using the attributes in an automated way?
0 Kudos
DorotheeKemnitz
New Contributor
Hi,

I would be interest in this too.

I would like to do that with Polygons. If anyone figures it out it would be good to know. Im sure you can do it with Python but I don't know how.

Cheers
0 Kudos
MichaelUpshall
New Contributor II
I too, am having this issue. I have seen numerous posts/threads with this issue but I have never seen a solution. I'm assuming there Is a way to automate this is Python, but unfortunately I have little experience programming.
0 Kudos