Problem with representations and legend symbols

01-25-2011 08:11 AM
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III
I am running ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP 2 (ArcInfo) on Windows XP.  This is my first time using representations in a map and I've added a legend that has both shapefile symbols and representation markers.  The shapefile symbols appear correct as usual, centered vertically with each other and horizontally with their label text, but the representation markers are not lined up at all.

I attached an example of what's going on.  The top and bottom symbols are the correct shapefile ones and those in between are from representations.  Does anybody know if this is a bug or how to fix this?

I know I could convert to graphics and get everything lined up from there but that's not an acceptable solution because I want to retain the dynamic nature of the legend.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardPascoe
New Contributor II
I am having the exact same issue.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP 2 on Windows 7 64-bit
0 Kudos
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
I remember seeing something like this with text labels - it had to do with the string being center or left justified.  Do your representations have different justification or offsets?  The default symbols (the ones lined up correctly) should have no offsets...
0 Kudos
RichardPascoe
New Contributor II
This only happens on the point layers.  There are no offsets on the representations and all of the markers are centered.  The legend symbols themselves cannot be justified, right?  All of the label descriptions are vertically center justified and horizontally left justified.  I have attached an example.
0 Kudos
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
Not sure if it gives you any clues, but I was able to change a properly aligned legend to one with points offset by changing the label font size.  Mine shifted in the opposite direction, the point markers were then higher than the label text.  Did you do any resizing of text or markers after the legend was created?  If this is not a lead, I don't have any other ideas.
0 Kudos
RichardPascoe
New Contributor II
Thank you for all of your suggestions, Mark.  I still have not found a solution, but I found a decent workaround.  I simply offset the label by a negative Y value.  It creates more space between the label above it, but it looks better.  I haven't opened this map in 10 yet.  I hope it doesn't crop up there.
0 Kudos