Problem when publishing shared textured mesh scene layer package on portal

Jump to solution
12-01-2020 06:29 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have shared a textured mesh scene layer package (.slpk) from NearMap into our enterprise federated Portal (v10.6.1) with the Share Package geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1.

When I log in Portal, I see the shared Scene Layer Package, but if I try to Publish it using the Publish button in Portal, I got an error withtout any further explanations.

Is it because textured mesh are not supported by ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I wish I had some better news for you but from a publishing to portal standpoint this slpk is unsalvageable. Essentially the problem is NearMap wrote out features resources and non-numeric node IDs which are in violation of the I3S specification. ArcGIS Pro will render this slpk because we won't load those resources for an integrated mesh. The features resources is something for 3D Object scene layers since they have attributes but integrated mesh scene layers do not have attributes. This fails in portal because in order to publish the slpk portal is expecting a valid slpk with numeric node ids so since it's not valid this fails to publish as a scene service. Our team has already reached out to NearMap to notify them of these issues so this should be resolved in newer versions although I don't have a specific version. The only path forward is if you have a contact at NearMap to see if they can provide a valid slpk or updated version of the software that writes out the slpk correctly. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

regards,

Andrew

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

As this is a 3rd party package there could be a variety of causes. The easiest way to narrow down the problem is to run the I3S Validator on the package and see how it validates against the I3S specification. You can download the exe here > https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/tree/master/i3s_converter

Directions on how to run the exe are here https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/blob/master/i3s_converter/i3s_converter_ReadMe.md 

Also, If you did have ArcGIS Pro 2.6 you can run the Validate Scene Layer geoprocessing tool which also uses the I3S validator. Please report the results back here.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Andrew, thank you for your help! As you suspected the package did not pass the i3s validation even if it's opening correctly in ArcGIS Pro.

Here is the validation result. Is there something I could try to correct the problem?

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I wish I had some better news for you but from a publishing to portal standpoint this slpk is unsalvageable. Essentially the problem is NearMap wrote out features resources and non-numeric node IDs which are in violation of the I3S specification. ArcGIS Pro will render this slpk because we won't load those resources for an integrated mesh. The features resources is something for 3D Object scene layers since they have attributes but integrated mesh scene layers do not have attributes. This fails in portal because in order to publish the slpk portal is expecting a valid slpk with numeric node ids so since it's not valid this fails to publish as a scene service. Our team has already reached out to NearMap to notify them of these issues so this should be resolved in newer versions although I don't have a specific version. The only path forward is if you have a contact at NearMap to see if they can provide a valid slpk or updated version of the software that writes out the slpk correctly. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

regards,

Andrew