Portal Tile Service Publication Error

Jump to solution
01-01-2021 11:23 AM
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon, all, and Happy New Year!

I've run into a snag with our new ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, and could use some guidance. On our old deployment, which was just an ArcGIS Server for Workgroups, I'd published a handful of large aerial images via ArcMap, dynamically cached, and all seemed to more or less work fine. With the new full-blown Enterprise deployment, I'm now trying to publish these same aerial images to Portal as hosted, tiled services. The first few went fine, but they're older, with lower resolution (i.e. smaller files), and once I move up to newer images I get a generic publication failure error in ArcGIS Pro. I also tried publishing as a web layer from Catalog, using similar settings to the old deployments created in ArcMap, but Pro presents that same error message.

The error comes up in Pro when I set the services to cache on the server, and when I try and publish via Catalog, with caching done dynamically (which is how our old services are set up).

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? There's definitely a correlation whereby the larger files are the ones that won't publish, but I suppose it could be something else...

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Ben,

One thing I like to look for when publishing hosted tile services is to break the process up into two steps. The first is to run the Create Map Tile Package geoprocessing tool to create a TPK file either locally on your machine or on the machine where Portal for ArcGIS is installed. Then, you have two options on how to proceed:

1. Run the Share Package geoprocessing from ArcGIS pro to publish the TPK to your Portal site
  2. Access your Portal site in a web browser, go to the content tab, and click Add Item -> From Computer and browse to your TPK file

If you suspect that the behavior is related to the size of the tile package, then I would recommend you take a look at the section "Publish large tile packages" in the following link: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-tiles.htm

-Calvin

View solution in original post

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Ben,

One thing I like to look for when publishing hosted tile services is to break the process up into two steps. The first is to run the Create Map Tile Package geoprocessing tool to create a TPK file either locally on your machine or on the machine where Portal for ArcGIS is installed. Then, you have two options on how to proceed:

1. Run the Share Package geoprocessing from ArcGIS pro to publish the TPK to your Portal site
  2. Access your Portal site in a web browser, go to the content tab, and click Add Item -> From Computer and browse to your TPK file

If you suspect that the behavior is related to the size of the tile package, then I would recommend you take a look at the section "Publish large tile packages" in the following link: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-tiles.htm

-Calvin