Portal: missing basemaps when creating a map or app

02-11-2016 02:13 PM
AaronDorsey1
New Contributor III

I'm having a problem: when creating a map in Portal (ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1) the basemaps are missing under all circumstances.

Examples:

Portal -> My Content -> Create -> Map -> Basemaps: no basemaps; box is blank/empty

browser Console:

BasemapGalleryGrid: group for basemaps does not exist.

(referenced in https://[servername]/arcgis/home/10.3.1/js/arcgisonline/arcgisonline.js)

Note in the attached image that World_Topo_Map is displayed and working (I see that it is set as the default basemap in arcgisonline.js).

Portal -> My Content -> Create -> App -> Using a Template

Enter name and description, click OK: message "Failed to create the app."

browser Console:

Can't find group by basemapGalleryGroupQuery.

Can't find most-num-views web map.

Can't find most-num-views web map.

I have no problems using the BasemapGallery dojo module when creating a map from scratch using the js API.

Any suggestions as to why Portal isn't finding GalleryGrid and GalleryGroupQuery?  It (arcgisonline.js) is minified so it's impossible to read.

Portal seems half-baked, but I would at least like to try it out.  Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RamlaShihab
New Contributor II

the same issue a ppears in 10.4 the basemap is not showing gallery in debugging BasemapGalleryGrid: group for basemaps does not exist . In addition this issue will affect the group creation item as well. If you try add group it will give you an error.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Try setting (or verifying) that your My Organization > Edit Settings > Map > Basemap Gallery & Default Basemap are set to Default.

On our Dev & Test Portals, I created a new group, available to everyone, called SomethingBasemaps and then checked "Share the Esri default basemaps to this group..."  Save this, go check a map then come back and in these two instances,  I then had the Esri basemaps populating the Default Basemap drop down and I could change it from the Topo one.

However, on our Production Portal, I cannot get this to work and currently we don't even see Esri basemaps, such as you report.  But our Prod Portal has a problem with the Data Store so I'm waiting to see about this.

I would also jump to 10.4 because it has a number of enhancements over 10.3.1.

EDIT: I was able to correct the problem with Esri basemaps not showing in our CustomBasemap group in the Production Portal.

I just deleted the CustomBasemap group in Portal and then recreated it and things started working ok.

JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks again Paul.  Is it just me or is some of this stuff with Portal totally cryptic

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Portal is a beast.  It's a sneaky beast though.

It appears on the surface to be pretty straight forward to setup and get working.

But then behind the scenes there's a lot going on.

And I don't think there's a lot of info out there about the more complex processes.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
checked "Share the Esri default basemaps to this group...

I dont see this anywhere.  Where is 'share the ESRI default basemaps check box?

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Did you ever solved this? This error just showed up for us after upgrading 10.5 to 10.5.1

AdamDunlap
New Contributor III

Jeff,

I'm having the same issue too...just upgraded yesterday, but noticed it today (7/25/2017) after my 10.4 to 10.5.1 upgrade in our acceptance environment.

0 Kudos
AdamDunlap
New Contributor III

I had to login as the portal admin...go to the maps section...click on the basemaps...after they loaded...it propagated to the rest of the users..

MichaelRobb

Map >> Basemap >>   loading...   then after about 5 seconds it just disappears... nothing is loaded.  Had this ever happened to you?

0 Kudos