Portal items duplicating on service update

02-02-2017 03:12 PM
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II

Hello All,

We have ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 federated with Portal running on Windows 2012 R2. One of client (Publisher role) published a map service in server and layer item was created in portal. When he tried updating service - just changing label and overwriting the existing service, duplicate portal item was created.  The client was original owner of portal item at the beginning (ensuring he was not updating others contents) . He uses ArcMap for publishing with same credentials and everything is same. User is not altering any security settings in portal.

I would like to understand what are all possible scenarios for duplicating the portal items?.

Please provide more insights on this case. 

25 Replies
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II

Hi 

Can you share which version you can able to reproduce?.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It was a dev build of the software so not on a released version.  Have you reached out to Support?

0 Kudos
ValeriaEstrada
New Contributor II

Hello, has anyone found the solution? I have the same issue on 10.5.1. It happens with the timestamp and without it too, duplicating all kind of services

MiguelGarriga2
New Contributor III

Having same issue with Portal - Content shows multiple map services with same name.  The names do not contain timestamps, names are identical.  Has anyone discovered how to resolve this ?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you describe your setup? For example, is it HA or not HA? Is it a distributed environment or single machine setup? What URL did you use for the admin URL during federation? Did you set the privatePortalURL in Portal prior to federating?

0 Kudos
DamianSlee2
New Contributor II

I have similar issues, I think there is no other option other than cleanup the temporary service and portal items after a failed service update.

BUG-000114507 : Portal for ArcGIS creates duplicate items upon overwriting an existing service in a federated server, failing due to inaccessibility of data.

LukeCatania
New Contributor III

I don't see BUG-000114507 listed as open or closed.  Is it still open?  Is there a patch?  Why is it not listed when I go to the Bugs section of My Esri?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

BUG-000114507: Portal for ArcGIS creates duplicate items upon overw.. 

Says not in product plan, soooo I guess that means they are ignoring it and making us fix it ourselves?

We're just spinning up a new 10.7.1 enterprise deployment and I noticed this with testing. Considering this was submitted June of 2018 it is HIGHLY disappointing nothing has happened after 18 months.

MarcCavallaro
New Contributor III

We are experiencing this service duplication issue on Portal 10.6.1.  Any solution to this?

DamianSlee2
New Contributor II

unfortunately, have the implement your own cleanup scripts after a service fails to update.   

there are 

- temporary service_date and portal items

- also the original service definition json gets updated with the additional new portal item ids as well and json attribute derived="True".  so each time a service update fails, if you look at the original service there is extra map service portal item references.