Portal for ArcGIS Update (Is it coming soon?)

Jump to solution
11-10-2015 04:07 AM
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone give me authoritative information concerning the next upgrade of Portal for ArcGIS (I'm currently the administrator of the 10.3.1 version). I am desperate for some of the functionalities of ArcGIS Online to be included in Portal for ArcGIS, functionalities such as Custom Print Layout and Analysis/Perform Analysis.

ArcGIS Online & Portal for ArcGIS are platforms that enhance the promotion of enterprise GIS in organizations as well as make GIS more user-friendly to non-GIS users/staff. The absence of Custom Print Layout functionality in Portal for ArcGIS therefore defeats the the purpose of user-friendliness. At present, my users print their maps through a laborious sequence of steps (because the Printer functionality provided on the Map Viewer is less than optimal. No legend, scale bar, north arrow, choices of layout and connection to available physical printers.). My users,

1. Create and save their map,

2. Share the map,

3. Make a Web Application (through Configurable Apps or Web AppBuilder),

4. Use/Add the Printer to the App,

5. Print.

We have used Portal for ArcGIS in my organization for 10months now and the most frequent complaint from my users is that they forget the steps to print and have to either call me for support or go through the user manual I created for them (they prefer to call me every time, which they feel is faster). Sometimes they give up on the map entirely. It would really be great if they could create, save and print their maps right at the Map Viewer. (if there is anyone out there who doesn't go through these steps to print their maps, please let me know how you do it).

Secondly, the Perform Analysis tool would be awesome on Portal for ArcGIS. My users will be able to perform more spatial analysis functions, thereby extending their usage of the portal from merely mapping.

I look forward to responses.

Lara

ArcGIS Online gets frequent updates through the course of a year, why can't Portal for ArcGIS be accorded the same priority. I believe the Portal for ArcGIS community (if not as large as the ArcGIS Online community), is growing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Omolara,

> Can anyone give me authoritative information concerning the next upgrade of Portal for ArcGIS ... I am desperate for some of the functionalities of ArcGIS Online to be included in Portal for ArcGIS, functionalities such as Custom Print Layout and Analysis/Perform Analysis.

I have good news. I can confirm that both custom print layouts and the analysis functionality/tools will be available in the Portal map viewer in Portal for ArcGIS 10.4. It will be released in Q1 of 2016.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

I wonder if this is due to our portal not having a SEARCH widget available when creating a web map? but is available via the WABde (developer edition) and on AGOL ?

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Frequent updates would mean a lot of work for those of us administering portal.

It's not always feasible to apply updates in big organizations at the speed they can come out.

Based on some info I came across:

10.3.1 is current with AGOL as of the March 2015 updates.  That's pretty current.

The one exception is the map view analysis tools which are scheduled for release with 10.4.

I've seen info regarding 10.4 that says 10.4 MIGHT be released with a Portal Map Viewer which can support custom print layouts and a Utility Service to support setting up custom print templates.

CAVEAT: there's no guarantee this stuff makes it into production. Esri is very clear about that.

As for when 10.4 gets released?  No idea.  But hopefully in time for the UC, that's the standard Esri release model.

Unfortunately, printing in any app has always been problematic and the more complex the info on a screen (map) the harder it is to get a printer setup that works for the myriad of printers out there.

MichaelRobb

I found it quite easy to download the WABde then take all files in the \client directory and place in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\webappbuilder     (default location for portal)  then the index.html the stemapp and builder files are all there.. and of the latest version.  This is how I added the latest widgets and themes seen on AGOL vs my Portal Install.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

And no issues yet with compatibility?  Interesting, have to give that  a shot.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

As mentioned, it is not the preferred workflow...

And I have come across one instance where the configuration window failed to load.

For the most part, i am using WABde going forward though.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Michael,

Regarding replacing the embedded version of Web AppBuilder in Portal for ArcGIS with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition, please see my answer in this GeoNet thread:

Deploy Custom Widget to Portal for ArcGIS

Hope this helps,

DerekLaw

Hi Omolara,

> Can anyone give me authoritative information concerning the next upgrade of Portal for ArcGIS ... I am desperate for some of the functionalities of ArcGIS Online to be included in Portal for ArcGIS, functionalities such as Custom Print Layout and Analysis/Perform Analysis.

I have good news. I can confirm that both custom print layouts and the analysis functionality/tools will be available in the Portal map viewer in Portal for ArcGIS 10.4. It will be released in Q1 of 2016.

Hope this helps,

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Derek,

I was hoping you would respond to my question. I look forward to Q1 2016 anxiously.

Lara

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

That is indeed good news....

Derek: is the intent to make a 10.3.1 upgrade to 10.4 fairly painless?

Or are we looking at a major release that will require a new install?

0 Kudos