Portal for ArcGIS Depolyment Scenario

02-18-2016 06:42 AM
ApurvDanke
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I want to setup portal for ArcGIS in my development environment. Currently I have ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 and Web Adaptor installed on same machine. I have configured the ArcGIS Server in Web Adaptor. Can I install Portal for ArcGIS on the same machine and configure it through Web Adaptor, so that both ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS would work on the same machine? Is there any restriction or disadvantage in doing that?

Regards,

Apurv

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi June,

Apologies for the late reply, but I wanted to check my response with a colleague before posting a reply.

In your attached deployment diagram, you have a web adaptor installed on both Server #1 and Server #4. This is a little redundant and not needed as Portal for ArcGIS can only have a single web adaptor configured with it.

If you decide you keep the web adaptor on Server #4 and remove the one on Server #1, then this might introduce some complications - because you will need to open up some more ports in your firewall to ensure proper communication between the web adaptor and Portal for ArcGIS installed on Server #1.The web adaptor will also need to be able to access your Windows Active Directory. In addition, your internal users (represented by Admin and Staff icons on the left side of your diagram) will have to connect to Portal through Server #4 - so they will need access to the DMZ.

If you keep the web adaptor on Server #1 and remove the one on Server #4, then Server #4 can just act as a reverse proxy to redirect incoming requests from your field clients to Server #4. This might be an easier workflow to support.

Be advised that I am not an official enterprise architect, and these comments are just some things to consider. If you want an official recommendation, I suggest you reach out to your local Esri account manager/Distributor and they can put you in touch with Esri Professional Services or the Distributor's Professional Services team.

Thanks for your patience and I hope this helps,

BrettHeist
New Contributor III

Derek,

In regards to the installation of ArcServer and Portal for ArcGIS being installed on the same machine, would I need to make 8 cores available in this instance or just 4? I know that ArcServer uses 4 cores and that Portal uses 4 cores so when being installed and run on a single machine does that mean the machine needs to be configured with 4 cores or 8 cores for optimal throughput? 

Also, I know you said that this configuration (Server and Portal installed on the same machine) should be fine for his development environment but what about for a production environment? Would this configuration be fine for that as well? 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Brett,

> In regards to the installation of ArcServer and Portal for ArcGIS being installed on the same machine, would I need to make 8 cores available in this instance or just 4?

I think you're probably fine running Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server on the single machine with 4 cores. Having said that, if you can get a server box with more cores, I would go for it.

> ... I know you said that this configuration (Server and Portal installed on the same machine) should be fine for his development environment but what about for a production environment? Would this configuration be fine for that as well? 

This is difficult to answer, because it really depends on your business workflows and needs. Some things to consider

• What kind of web services will you be running on your Server site? Just map services? or more complex stuff like geoprocessing services? or other capabilities such as locator/routing-network services?
  • What is the expected volume/level of traffic that the web services will have?
  • How many Portal members will you be supporting?
  • What will the Portal members be doing? Creating lots of new web maps and apps? Performing spatial analysis in the Portal Map Viewer?

As I said, this is challenging to answer.

FYI, this might be a good starting point to plan your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment,

ArcGIS Enterprise: Architecting Your Deployment - Esri whitepaper

Hope this helps,

BrettHeist
New Contributor III

Thanks Derek! 

PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

You can build an all in one machine with Portal, a Hosting Server, a Data Store and the two web adaptors with very little effort if you utilize the Chef Cookbook from Esri.

I only use this setup as  a dev environment and after it's setup, you want to look into the Data Store settings and probably modify the default backup schedules etc...  I overflowed our disk initially with some fairly small data sets.

Others have reported using all in one boxes in production though.

Check out this post:

Get Started With ArcGIS Cookbook · Esri/arcgis-cookbook Wiki · GitHub

A new cookbook for setting up 10.4 was just released.

Seriously worth a look

PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

As a follow up to my prior post, we are now utilizing the all in one setup in a Dev, Test and Production Portal setup

We did the initial installation of both Test and Production in a morning.

But that was after we worked through a few issues with our Win 2012 Server R2 - portal wants .NET 3.5 so we had to install that first.

Our Dev and Test are setup as single boxes with the configuration files there on the local drive.

Production is setup for an HA setup down the road if necessary.  i.e. configuration files are out on a shared drive/shared folder setup.

To do this you use a slightly different Chef json file that is found in the roles folder.  It's clearly labeled for HA work.

I have had a 180 shift in thinking here.  Originally I thought everything should be on separate boxes.

But the ease of putting it on one box made me think twice and then some other conversations convinced me to try this route.

I can always split out boxes if performance suffers.

But in our VMware Sphere environment, I can bump resources on the fly.

We are still configuring Portal so I can't report on how well it works in production yet.

0 Kudos
BrettHeist
New Contributor III

Paul,

How did this setup work for your production environment? I'm currently looking at doing the same and was curious if it works well with the installs of ArcServer and Portal being on the same machine?

0 Kudos
SharonMeier
New Contributor III

I have a similar setup with 10.4 Pre-release.   When I try to access the GeoEvent Manager I get an Error:Invalid redirect_uri message.    Not sure if this is the best place to post a question but just wondered if anyone else has seen that error. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Sharon,

FYI, last week ArcGIS 10.4 final was released. You may want to install the final release instead of 10.4 Pre-Release.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on the GeoEvent extension for Server, please re-post your question in this forum: GeoEvent

Hope this helps,

SharonMeier
New Contributor III

Thank you.  I'm working on getting our copy of 10.4 final downloaded.    Once I get that installed and configured I'll check with the GeoEvent forum.    This is the first time I've installed and/or configured/federated Portal, so I suspect I have probably missed a step somewhere along the way. 

0 Kudos