Portal for ArcGIS Data Loading Recommendations

05-24-2018 07:13 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

I am looking for some best practice advice of how, when, why and who around loading data into Portal for ArcGIS.

The organization I am working for have migrated their GIS from a desktop installation to an enterprise ArcGIS Pro / Portal for ArcGIS deployment.

They have four types of data that are mostly stored on a file share at present.

1. Base layers, both vector and raster, they source mostly from government agencies.
  2. Base layers, vector, they create themselves or improve from the base layers sourced from other organizations
  3. Corporate vector layers they create, edit and use in analysis and map production
  4. Corporate imagery i.e. drone imagery or aerial photography - these may be used for analysis

Portal for ArcGIS is hosted through Amazon Web Services (AWS). We have SQL Server that could be utilized as a data store for the layers that need editing.

We are looking to replace as many of the base layers using web mapping services (WMF, WFS, Esri Map Services) as possible and publish them into Portal. 

What I am seeking is advice on where and how the other data types, corporate vector, raster and edited base layers, should be stored. 

• What has worked best for others?
  • What approach is easiest to maintain?
  • Should layers be stored in SQL Server and then edited through map services?
  • What Raster formats work best? Should they be converted or tiled?
  • What sort of access requirements need to be set-up for editing, viewing, etc

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done anything similar to the above and what has worked well and what has not

Thanks

Dean Howell

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ArdenLarberg1
New Contributor

Hi Dean,

I don't have any suggestions for you (sorry!) but was wondering if you'd found solutions to raster upload and storage? I'm in a similar situation but our upload/storage/usability questions are all for continuous surfaces. Figured although you got no responses you might have worked something out in the meantime. Thanks!

DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Arden,

We ended up creating an image server through Amazon Web Services and converting all raster images to GeoTIFF (using QGIS) and copying them to the image server. I have a QGIS plugin that scans folders for images, coverts and saves them to the folder selected. In the interim, users can map the folder location of the image server and load the images into ArcGIS from there but the plan is to create a bunch of web maps, based on image themes, and store these in Portal for ArcGIS (referencing the data from teh image server) so users can use portal to search for images they need.

It is not a great solution but working for now

0 Kudos